Fort Green Dreams

“Fort Greene Dreams” is a personal narrative written by Nelson George a music and culture critic, journalist, and filmmaker. This Narrative is about when he moves from Jamaica, Queens to Fort Greene in Brooklyn. He tells us his experience in Brooklyn while achieving his dreams, and how he discovered himself as a writer, lover, son, mentor, etc all by living alone in an apartment in Fort green, 19 Willoughby Avenue.

What i like about this autobiography is how he uses imagery though out all this story. The precise details give us a picture on our head of what is he going through while living in Brooklyn. One descriptive paragraph he wrote about that gave me a good image in my head, is how he witnessed thief getting arrested in his backyard! this is on page thirty three in the second paragraph. How just one night he was sitting in front of his laptop probing for inspiration, when just out of no where a guy climbed over the fence to Nelsons backyard with a television. He was about to call the cops, but two other cops jumped the fence and arrested the thief. Nelson said how he felt he was watching a reality show of Cops, which gives me a picture in my head how it happened.

Nelson also talks about the pros of living in Fort Greene like the transportation was good only a few stops away from Manhattan, had plenty of time to focus on his work, but most important how he discovered himself as a writer and how he was in general. living her he published five books! like i always say it doesn’t matter where you start but where you end up!