Project 1: Introducing Yourself/Myself

My name is Alex S. and I was born in Ukraine. However, I only lived there for a very brief amount of time, in comparison to the rest of my life in the USA. Therefore, I can speak two languages, but only read and write with one. Nevertheless, I wish to learn how to do so with the second. When I first stared school,  I had a very difficult time with English, mainly because no one told me what it is. I knew that in the morning I had to write something in the first two lines of my notebook, but I had no idea what. So I would write random letters and numbers that I saw around the room on the walls. I did so with the hope that one would be right, or just to show that I was trying. I have actually forgotten how I first started to write or speak other than one day I was able to do so. However, I am still plagued by spelling mistakes. From there I moved on to junior high, those were a long three years, followed by 4 fast years at  High School. Now I am on the road of a Mechanical Engineering Technology major.

The Avatar I chose is the Iron Man mark II armor. Many people do not think of this as Iron Man when asked  what he looks like. Most people say that it is a suit of armor that is gold and hot rod red. This, of course, is true, however the red gold would not be here without the silver and titanium alloy. Also, the Mark II has more character than the Mark III by not being as flashy (even thought it has a high gloss silver finish that reflects more light than gold) and by its rougher industrial look with many bolts, visible sections of separate plates. It is also the armor that was used to test the flight capabilities of the series of armors, revealing the major icing problem at high altitudes. Which was used later when the design was copied and used against the Mark III (Gold and red). So the Mark II  was the start of the Iron Man line and was the reason for it’s improvement. I like improving something to the point of perfection and even further that, start something else based on the success that came before. Continuing is often as hard as starting. The reasons for both are the same, what do you do now? Where to head to or stay away from? How to not repeat yourself? What new thing is out there? Will this even work? The Mark II was the answer for Tony Stark and now for me.

It is a wonderful feat of engineering in many fields and the most wonderful was the expanded flight capability of the armor. It reminds me of Daedalus who crated wings to escape the tower back in ancient Greece. Flight without a bulky, needy, limited aircraft is simply wonderful. It is the difference between looking at the sky from the ground through a window and being in the sky high above with nothing to separate you from the experience of it all. It was a dream of mine to join the Air Force, to fly in plains that can achieve great heights and speeds. However, in gaining one freedom I would surrender many others. Iron Man dose not have that double edge, it is complete freedom.

The Iron Man Armor. Is it a weapon? or a Shield? or a Shell? In the pursuit of peace and justice do we turn to war machines and violence? This question come up when people discuss the Armor. An armor that does not exist. The imaginary worlds created by skilled filmmakers and writers create vivid worlds that we can see. They often have meaning outside their own in ours. So by choosing the Armor as my Avatar am I hiding behind it to avoid exposure or am I showing aggression by showing such a menacing figure that has very little human features and looks like it wants to hunt you down. These are the reacts I foresee with my choice of avatar.