Philosophy on Nursing

My philosophies are personal beliefs that I have adopted over the years while practicing nursing
and will continue to uphold as long as I continue in this profession. It is based upon three
guiding principles: Compassion, Teaching and Personal Advancement. It is quite easy for one’s
level of compassion to dwindle in this stressful profession. I believe a nurse’s compassion will
never diminish if they ask themselves this question: Is this the way I would like myself or a
family member to be treated if we needed help?
Patient teaching is a crucial part of nursing. The old adage, “Give a man a fish and he will eat for
a day, but teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.” rings true in this area. If a patient is
taught about their disease in easy to understand terms and instruction, the rate of recidivism
will likely decrease; I am a strong believer in that. Nursing is a forever changing field; new
advances in treatment and care are established which trump the old methods. It is important
for nurses to educate themselves on these new techniques; not only by attaining certifications
but also advance degrees. These are the principles I hold dear to me and as far I can remember,
it has never been proven me wrong.