Philosophy

My philosophy of nursing revolves around the nursing beliefs of safe, compassionate and culturally competent care. I believe every nurse should be able to deliver safe and quality care despite challenging and sometimes intimidating environment. And although much of the safe care guaranteed by educational and practical knowledge and skills, the quality of care is measured by such nursing attributes as compassion and cultural competence. An instructor once told me that you can teach the nurse everything but you cannot teach her to be compassionate if it is not naturally present. Compassion together with cultural competence is invaluable tool in understanding and reaching the hearts and the minds of the patients under care.

It is not surprising, therefore, that in my belief and practice I closely relate to theory of Transcultural Nursing and particularly of Madeleine Leininger, who stated that “care is the essence of nursing and the dominant, distinctive and unifying feature”., in my approach to nursing. According to Leininger there can be no cure without caring but that there may be caring with curing.

My core values are respect, tactfulness, pride, commitment, and mutual trust. I treat my patients, their family members, and colleagues with respect and dignity without discrimination to race, ethnicity, cultural background or any other factor. I am committed to every choice I make and always strive to follow the highest standards, scope of practice; take the best opportunity available and give the best care I can.

For that matter, every nurse should be committed to continue educational and professional growth for being able to take upon leadership position and in full partnership with physician and other health care providers plan and make policies in regards to nursing and health care industry.