Academic Examples

Visual Quotation

For this assignment we were asked to create three designs around a quotation of our choice. I chose a well known quote by Bob Marley. “One good thing about music when it hits you, you feel no pain.” This quote was chosen because I love music, I can’t go a day without it. Music speaks to you and moves you. No matter how you feel music can ,and will, hit you but you won’t feel no pain.

The reason I chose this design is because of the photography. Bob Marley is performing a song on stage, and when he performs he feels the music more than anyone else, and it aids the quote being used. Sometimes when you’re at an actual concert, near the artist, the music really does hit you the harder. I chose to make certain words pop out more by using the bright colors to go against the black and white image.

One of Bob Marley’s instrument was a guitar. In wanted to manipulate the type in the shape of the guitar. The text in yellow is the head-stock  “Music” is the neck, and the bottom text is the body. The color used for the text are the colors of the Rastafarian flag that represented their movement, which Marley was apart of.

The part of the visual I wanted to show more was Marley with a big grin, and laughing. The quote is telling you music makes you feel no pain, and the photo goes hand in hand with it. I switched up the type between the first and second half of the quote. I gave the first part a more friendly font, then the second part a more serious font. I did this because the beginning is taking about a positive part of music, while the last part is speaking of pain. It may not be a negative thing about pain, but the fonts show the difference the two ( music & pain).