Optimism/Pessimism

In the article “See the glass half empty of half full? Why Optimists are Happier, Healthier and Wealthier.” by Margie Warrell, Warrell discuss the outcomes of having these very different traits saying “optimism creates opportunity and pessimism kills it.” The author gives a list of things that a person should do in order to live a happier life, the list is:

Set your intentions-“Being intentional acts like a compass and helps you better focus your time and energy.”

Do something outside your comfort zone-“There is no better way to build self-confidence than by doing something that stretches you as it teaches you that you are capable of more than you thought you were.”

Reframe a problem into an opportunity-“Where pessimists see problems, optimists find opportunities.”

Avoid energy drainers-“Choose your company wisely and limit the time you spend with people who don’t fill your cup of optimism and “can do” self-confidence.”

Carry yourself like an optimist-“If you change how you hold yourself physically, it will change how you feel emotionally.”

Lighten up-“Why is it that comedians tend to live very long lives? It’s because they have become so masterful at finding the humor in even the most unfunny situations.”

Exercise-“Not only is it great for you physically,  it’s a very potent drug for making you feel better psychologically.”

The list was a great way for me to realize all that I need to start doing in order to live a happier life. I can admit I am a pessimist and sadly I did not realize it until my significant other really pointed it out. I am trying to become more and more optimistic. the tone for this article was somewhat happy and informational letting people know the benefits of being optimistic versus pessimistic.

In the other article “A Healthy Outlook” by Camille Chatterjee, Chatterjee warns us by letting us know that being pessimistic can lead to serious health issues in the future. The author explains that pessimistic people have a higher chance of having high blood pressure which can also lead to heart disease. After reading this article it really makes pessimism seem scary. I never thought about my attitude effecting my overall health. It was definitely an eye opener. The tone for this article was deep and almost dramatic letting people know the bad sides of being pessimistic.

I believe both articles were meant to be read by a pessimistic audience. I say this because even thought they have different tones it is all about informing pessimists on what to do and what not to do and what the outcome of being pessimistic may lead to.

One thought on “Optimism/Pessimism

1. rmichals

I appreciate that you read both articles carefully. The first one is a bit over the top I think in its extreme belief in optimism. the question will be how to make the glass look different without much ability to change the lighting.