What a half-full glass!

Margie Warrell article main point, as she states in it, is: ā€œOptimism creates opportunity and pessimism kills it.ā€

She based her avowal in researches, but in particular on one study made by Susan Segerstrong with a group of law student. group. Segerstrong found that law students who were optimism get better jobs and are more prompt to succeed. She remarks that these law students are in a group that see the glass-half-full, contrary to the other law students who look at a glass-half-empty.

Her main point is that she believes that positive attitude toward life makes you more successful and happier.

She mentioned 7 strategies ā€œfor filling up your cup of optimism.ā€ She claims that: small changes in attitude, built self-confidence, see things from a new angle, hang out with optimist people, think in you as an optimism person and reflect it in your body language, laugh more, and exercise makes a huge difference in how you will enjoy and live your life.

For this shoot I want a reflected image of a glass with water that splash outside. The main reason is that the water is not still in the half of the glass is because, as Warell mention, you must be proactive and provocateur. Splashing water outside the glass a great way to show that optimism state.

I would like to use two strobe lights in the background of the subject. I will also need a diffuser, like silk white piece of fabric that will be in front of the two strobe lights.

The two strobes will be in different 45 angles. One in the top of another with the proper distance. Look at the diagram.

I will also need a white, black, or color piece of Plexiglas to create the reflection effect.

Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā 

I would like to try this setting, if it does not work I will use the two-glass technique to create the illusion of the reflection.

One thing that must be considered is not to light the glass directly to avoid reflections.

A Healthy Outlook

Camille Chatterjee couldnā€™t be more accurate at the time she sustains that a good attitude is paramount for a better life. She specific refers to how blood pressure if affected by attitudes: ā€œpessimists have a higher blood pressure that their more optimistic counterparts.ā€

She points to three main situations or states: Be optimistic, avoid stress, teamwork. Every of these advices has their own benefits and helps in controlling the blood pressure.

For this shoot I am thinking in bringing two glasses that I will put together in a peculiar way. Both will be half-full but the way in which I will set the layout will portrait, visually, what Ms. Chatterjee comments about the benefices that being optimistic, stress free, and the benefits of teamwork, bring to your life.

I would like to shoot this with a black background. Also with the reflection on the Plexiglas. I would like to use a tripod and long exposure, not strobe lights, to get the best image possible. But I am open to any suggestion that help me to achieve my ideas.

Water effects for these shoots will differ from the previous shoot in this series. I am thinking in using the fake ice cube the professor will bring to class.

Gabriel Flores