Why do people prefer to buy dogs?

Most people want to have a specific breed of a dog such as a purebred or a designer hybrid breed. According to APPA, 34% of dogs are purchased from breeders and only 23% of dogs are adopted from the shelters. The main reason for that is fashion. In the mid-1950s the popularity of poodles led to a change in fashion and a poodle skirt became a new fashion trend. Media also plays a role in the new breed trends. An example is the Disney movie 101 Dalmatians. According to the article “Forty-two Thousand and One Dalmatians,” after the release of the film, the breed registration for Dalmatians increased dramatically, it went from 8,170 puppies to 42,816 puppies.

The dog’s behavior is a determining factor as well. People want to have a trained and well-behaved dog that the shelters can’t guarantee. If the certain dog breed is prone to an aggressive behavior, the people won’t buy this type of dogs. According to the same article, in the 1990s there was an increase in number of deaths by Rottweilers in the United States, and the registrations of Rottweilers decreased by 83% over the next decade.

People want to know the history of a dog as well the medical conditions. Some people buy the dogs for a specific purpose- for therapy, service or protection. Some people don’t have a choice, but to buy a dog because they have disabilities. Cultural and social factors play a role. Some people are used to buy dogs, so they don’t even consider an adoption. Some people are not prepared for adoption because it takes a lot of time to adopt a dog and then to take care of it. It’s more convenient for them to buy a dog.

3 Replies to “Why do people prefer to buy dogs?”

1. I adore the statement in this article that individuals want to own a trained dog for defence, service, or therapy. I sometimes feel lonely in my home where I live alone. I want to get a puppy so I can have a friend and a companion.

1. Yes exactly… Owning a dog gives us more relaxation and its a great stress buster….
      You can find your best companion by sorting them according to your needs at petzlover.com