The story The Things they Carried is a very upsetting yet informative story about Tim O’Brien who is a Vietnam war veteran. He tells us about his personal experience in the war and how he dreamt of a life with this girl he was obsessed with.  O’Brien also talks about how the war left emotional and physical scars that will haunt him for the rest of their days. O’Brien used intangible objects to show how each character in the story is different. The character that I wondered about is Lieutenant Jimmy Cross because to me it seemed that Cross had an odd obsession with this girl he knew from back home. His obsession with this girl named Martha made me feel uncomfortable and disturbed because of the things he said he wish he had done to this girl. Cross obsessed some much over this girl that he fantasized whether or not if she is a virgin or not and he fantasized about the time he touched her knee which kind of disturbed me. I got a perverted vibe of his character and that made me question what the hell am I reading.