Week 8: 10/12 (due 10/17)

John Lewis and the March on Washington speech he never gave - Vox

Unit 2: Reflective Annotated Bibliography (Good Trouble)

• View and write down main ideas:  John Lewis,   CCNY 2019 Commencement Speech
  • Read and write down main ideas: John Lewis, “Together, You Can Redeem the Soul of Our Nation”
  • Understanding-Unit-2PPT
  • Answer below:
    • 1. After reading Lewis’s editorial and watching his CCNY speech, what ideas do you think are important?  What does he mean by good trouble? Do you think you have ever pursued, or wanted to pursue, good trouble in your own life?
    • 2. Write a 1-paragraph Unit 2 topic proposal: what you’re thinking of writing about, why you’re interested in it, what you think or know about it already, and some potential questions you have.

1. Maria Herrera

1. Some ideas Lewis said in his CCNY speech and “Together, You Can Redeem the Soul of Our Nation” that I think is important are small changes can cause big impacts, meaning we could stand up, make our voices be heard and fight for what we think is right. When Lewis says good trouble he is referring to stand up to what we believe is right. Make our voices be heard. Good trouble means for everyone to come together, be united and make a difference but in a good and peaceful way. I have pursued good trouble in my life when I was able to vote for the first time because me voting was a way I made my voice be heard.
    2. Something I would want to write about would be about immigration. I am interested in writing about immigration because currently a lot has been happening. At the border. Situations that happened with children being separated from their families. But also some situations that has happened here in the US with immigrants. Do immigrants have the same rights as others? Are immigrants protected? If something happens to an immigrant and they protest, will their voices be heard? Or will they be ignored? Why do immigrants have to live with fear of deportation, if some actually contribute to this country. Meaning they are hard workers, and pay their taxes.

2. Caroline Chamberlin Hellman

Hi Maria,
    Good start here. You’ll want to narrow down your topic further. Can you identify a time period and place to study immigration? Do you want to focus on the 2019 separation of children from their parents in the US? Or a specific incident?

3. Ziqi Lin

1. After reading Lewis’s editorial and watching his CCNY speech, I think that it’s important to speak out your thoughts about what you think is right or wrong and you might make a difference to the world. Not everyone will agree with you but some people might have the same thoughts but don’t have the courage to speak up. I think good trouble means that you’re doing something that you think is right and will make an impact to the world but not everyone will agree with you. It might be troublesome to do and might not succeed at first but it’s probably worth it once your voice gets out there. I have never or wanted to pursue good troubles in my life.
    2. Something I would like to write about is Asian hate, especially since 2019 was when Covid-19 started, a lot of Asians were attacked and even killed because of a virus. I know that in NYC train stations, some people even pushed people who are Asian in the train tracks. I also read something on Instagram where a Korean old lady was attacked in the park and later that day she died in the hospital. Just because she was Asian, she was attacked. Some questions I have is for those people who attacked Asians, if a virus came from a country that they are from, and they got attacked how would they feel?

4. Edith Johanna Suárez Correa

1 After reading Lewis’s editorial and watching his CCNY speech. I think that John Lewis gave us a very powerful message about how important is for people to fight for equal rights , so we can become a better society. He also mentioned that speaking out and even creating movements to fight for equality ,It is vital to make changes. He talks about current situations that made him feel afraid where it shows that what happens in the past it is not only staying in the past. Lewis states that ordinary people with a vision and desire to act is all we need to transform America in a better nation.
    Speaking of me , I think in high school there were a few moments where some classmates and me spoke out to fight for what is right, In fact , that is something I miss from my days in high school. We used to be very supportive one to another.

2 I would like to write about organic food and the importance of eating healthy for our mind and body. I believe that lately in our society people are so involved on working or trying to achieve their goals professionally speaking, which obviously is right. However, they forget that in order to accomplish everything I mentioned before, It is important to nourish your body and soul. I would like to talk about the psychology of food choices. what makes people have poor choices when it comes to nutrition.

5. Edith Johanna Suárez Correa

6. Mykyta Sheptukhin

1. Some main ideas that stood out to me after watching, CCNY Commencement speech, and reading, Lewis’s Editorial, we should use our knowledge to get into “good trouble”. Good trouble refers to when you do something against what is seen as okay, to make a change for the better, standing up to injustice, speaking up for those who can’t, even if it gets you into trouble. Even if the trouble has never affected you or anyone close to you, it is your “moral obligation” to stand up and speak out, and “turn the world upside down to set it right side up.” Lewis had not grown up rich, but that did not stop him from pursuing what he thought and knew was the right thing to do.
    2. I am interested in writing about mental health and how it affects all people, women and men alike, children and adult alike. There have been many deaths in the past few years due to mental health and being unchecked. It is a serious issue that everyone should help others with this issue. I want to write about what mental health looks like, how to prevent it and how to help others fight it. I will also include how dangerous and horrible bad mental health can be and what it can make people end up doing to themselves and others around them.

7. Saul Arizaga

1) After having read the lewis’s editorial and watching his CCNY speech, there were many ideas that stood out to me. To be specific, I found his editorial and speech to be very similar in conveying a message. The found his idea of standing up for what you believe is right to be important, as well as his idea of uniting as one to make a change/impact on the world. To stand up against injustices as well as standing up without fear. He encourages us to get into “good trouble” which means getting in trouble, but getting in trouble for trying to change something for the better. An example being standing up against racial issues. Protests during the civil rights movements were can be seen as good trouble. This is what Lewis means by “good trouble”. I have pursued good trouble and have done so not on a big scale, but have done so in little groups. An example is I have heard racial comments be made by small groups and whenever I hear them, I try to educate them and tell them why isn’t good to make comments or say things that they wouldn’t like to hear. I have really practiced good trouble, but this is as far as I have gone.
    2) As a topic proposal, I was debating about writing about health and how it is important for someone to eat healthy or speak about the racial issues we faced within the recent years. The reason I am interested in these two topics are because health is an important factor and key aspect in a persons life. Most of us tend to forget about our health and neglect it hence leading to issues that could be life threating. I also found the idea about racial issue to be important/ interesting and the reason being that despite the civil rights movement having had occurred and slavery be put to an end, there are many cases that still seem to prove that there is some sort of hierarchy /dominant class in the United states. A potential question I have is, “Is there ever going to be an actual change in society?” These are the two topics I have in mind as of now.

8. Kobe

1.After reading Lewis’s editorial and watching his CCNY speech, An idea that I found important is that we all have a voice and we should be able use our voice for good or whenever we feel like something is right. From my understand about What John Lewis means by good trouble is that we should do things that we feel like is right whether or not if others disagree. In fact I have pursued good trouble in my own life, once in highschool where many student wrote on a petition about trying to get our lunch passes back because we felt like all shouldn’t face the consequence that other students weren’t following.
    2. Something that I think of writing about is street vendors. The reason why I found it interesting is because I feel like they work very hard to able to make money to provide for their family. Something that I know about this is that some are undocumented so its very hard for them to find jobs and they aren’t being treated fairly.

9. Mohamed Kaba

An important part of this article is when he said “Ordinary people with extraordinary vision can redeem the soul of America”. this idea grabs me because he is telling us people with a high vision fight for their rights and goal. Standing up, and speaking up will change people’s perspectives. Another idea is “He said we are all complicit when we tolerate injustice” this means when we are witness to something bad and we do not stand up and speak out, we are allowing it in our community. We can help our society to get improve, by showing up about what is wrong. By Good trouble, he means necessary trouble. The trouble that improves our community such as having the same rights without discrimination.

2. My Unit 2 topic proposal will be on electric cars. I am interested in it because it is the best way to save our environment. Electric cars will have good impact to our environment because it does not pollute the air. Do not cause global warming, and do not use non-renewable fuels. The combustion of fuels produces a large amount of chemicals which are emitted into the atmosphere and it causes the destruction of the ozone layer.

10. Jonathan

1. . After reading Lewis’s editorial and watching his CCNY speech, I believe one of his ideas is to let your voice be heard no matter other’s opinion. In the end your voice can have an impact on others. What he means by good trouble I believe he means the action you take will have consequences but will be for a good cause. One good trouble I would want to pursue is to come late to school for feeding a hungry cat.
    2. My topic proposal would be on technology and how it’s important yet dangerous to us. I’m interested in this topic because there is so much to talk about on how technology affects us. I know that it’s important to use to care for peoples lives and can be used to end it as well. One question I would ask is how is technology harmful to us.

11. Mariah

1-After reviewing Lewis speech, it shows that he faced many obstacles from childhood and forward. His struggles made him grow into a successful man whose now inspiring teenagers who are the future. He tells us to take risks and fight for what we believe. he is living proof that anything is possible.
    2- I want to talk about abortion. Abortion is something women have been fighting for ages back and until now 2021 we are still fighting for our rights because I’m a firmly believer of “my body, my choice” I want to talk about this topic because congress men and few women think they can tell us what we need to do to our bodies. this is a major topic because this can lead to serious mental issues

12. Adrian Castaneda

1. After reading Lewis speech, the quote that is important to me is “Ordinary people with extraordinary vision can redeem the soul of America”. This is important because it is letting us know that you don’t have to be special in order to make a change, all you need is vision. When he says good trouble he means that you must be able to sacrifice a little of freedom in order to to gain leadership. If someone does a good trouble then other will do the same in order to make the change necessary.I don’t think i have everpersued good trouble.
    2. I want to talk about how technology changed education. the pros and cons of having technology involved in education. I don’t know much but it(technology) was helpful for me during the pandemic. has it helped or harmed students? will it take over paper? can you actually learn?

13. sarmad

After reading lewis speech it show he face tough times in his life.His fought time make hi successful and he inspire teenager.He said you have to take risk if you want to be successful.All ways believe in your self never give up and never take negative opinion fro people.
    I want to talk to about international students how tough their life is they have to send money back home pay their tuition and Also afford their lifestyle.They sacrifice there fun time into family responsobility.

14. Carsy

1. reading Lewis’s speech on the societal stand point of the world and how he wants to focus on the youth to change the world for the better he mad it known that how he struggled that doesn’t mean that we have to. there are simple things we can do for example helping the elders which could create a great impact but he also encourage us to use peace to do good trouble and not harm anyone
    2 i would like to talk about work place conditions since it has been a since the Manhattan factory fire and its still a issue now and just a year ago the same thing that happened in Manhattan years ago happened in a part in the middle east killing a large amount of woman and children but we cannot stop supporting it since their lively hood depends on it

15. Valery Romero

1) After reading Lewis’s editorial and watching his CCNY speech, something important that I could see that he is trying to pursue people that they have to be strong by heart and that they have to stand up to what they truly believe to listen to their hearts and do something about it. When he said to get into “good trouble” I think he meant to take a big risk in doing something that you know is right but others cant see. And to not be scared that other people judge you for who you are or what you did that got you in good trouble. I think I have pursued good trouble in my own life at some point because I wanted to get out of like the ordinary and wanted to take a bit of a risk to do something good.
    2) My topic proposal I was thinking to write about is bullying. At some point many people might of been witnesses and/or some are the victims of bullying. I know that bullying harms the victims in many ways emotionally, physically, or mentally. Either young people or adults can have this problem. I am intrested in writing about this because any person can be a victim or be a witness or be a bully and there are many reasons why it effects ourselves a lot and that their can be ways to help someone who has that problem.

16. Liam

1)After reading lewis’ speech and editorial my main takeaway was speaking up for what you believe is right. He says if you see something unfair, unjust, or wrong, it is our duty to speak up for the betterment of our society. People are afraid to speak up and stand out in today’s society. Lewis encourages us to be brave and speak out what we feel. I interpret “good trouble” as risks taken to achieve an impactful and positive goal. There have definitely been times in my life where I have gotten into good trouble.

2) I’d like to write about how humans are working to repair the environment. The damage we have done to our planet is major and if we wish to continue thriving on this planet, we need to fix it.

• Caroline Chamberlin Hellman

Hi Liam,
      Can you explain what you mean when you mention humans repairing the environment?

17. Odee

1) After listing Lewis’s CCNY speech it was clearly proven that he came from a rough poor background that no one will dear ask upon themselves but yet for all he still had many siblings that his parent could barely afford to manage, but his father had stood up and been a man about their present situation and weight stand to save up money to purchase 110 acres of land to start form and even raying farm animal like chickens, hogs, and the list continues, another thing he had made mention too was we the people should know what we eat or know what we drink, better differentiate what that means is that we as people of society need to be more educated about our surroundings, but on the other hand we the young people of this generation need to come out of our shells and fight for what is right to change some of the present laws.
    2) I’m writing about black innocent civilians who were wrongly judged on their character but more judged based on their nationality or skin tone, so I’m here trying to speak up on some of the causes for these racial problems we face on a day to day basis.