Adrian Castaneda

My name is Adrian Castaneda, I’m 17 and my pronouns are he/him. I have a late birthday that’s why in every school year I’m always one of the youngest. a couple of times my birthday has been on the first day of school so not many knew it was my birthday ( September 7th). I am from Veracruz, Mexico. I was born in Mexico but was brought to the United States when I was 2. Ever since, we have always lived in Queens, New York. When I was little I would always act like if I was a doctor and always wanted to be a doctor until I went into High School. My High School , Queens Vocational and Technical High school, was a vocational High School so I had to choose a CTE program. When I first tried the Plumbing program I loved it. It was very hands-on and every thing made sense, like everything connected somehow. In my Sophomore year, I had developed skills that allowed me to work productively. Therefore, my instructors saw and decided to allow me to compete in Skills USA. I worked hard and was intimidated a bit because I was notified that most of the students competing are seniors from other High Schools. Another girl and I went and we were able to get First and Second Place for our school. After that, I decided to continue in the construction industry and researched a lot and concluded tat I wanted to be a construction manager. For this reason I entered City Tech and went into Construction Management program.

An important person in my life is my sister. She is only 3 but ever since she could walk, she would always follow me. we are very attached because links me and her are the same age and wants me to do whatever she does. She always wants me to play with her and wants me to go into the little kids playground even if I don’t fit. she has enlightened my life and she is my motivation for trying.

1. Caroline Chamberlin Hellman

What a beguiling photo and inspiring story! Thank you for sharing, Adrian!

2. Saul

That’s sweet man, I too have a little sister that motivates me to do better because every time I see her all I see if pure innocence. Your Major sounds quite interesting and challenging to complete. I wish you nothing but the best and hopefully meet each other. Good Luck.

3. Caroline Chamberlin Hellman

Hi Adrian,
    I commented on your post during class as an example, but I’m returning here to respond at greater length. Your introduction and mention of how you became interested in your course of study are very interesting– I’d like to hear more about Skills USA. I have a feeling that I do not possess these Skills myself! Welcome.