DISPARITY ASSIGNMENT

Sherley Germain, RN

Part 1:Culture, Health Disparities and Literacy:

Due to the fact that healthcare serves such a diverse community, CLAS has developed guidelines for individuals and health care organizations that will help eliminate health care biases by providing great quality service while being culturally and linguistically sensitive.

his information is not used to me. As a pediatric nurse working in the South Bronx I encounter many different groups of people from all walks of life. Not only do I have to tailor an individualized plan of care, but must also consider their cultural and language preference. For example, for some of my patients Spanish is their native language. Therefore, I have to extra take time to explain procedures and treatments to the patient and appropriate family members or even to arrange for an interpreter. Thus we offer them great quality health care that is respectful and responsive to their individual need.

Part 2: In consideration of the information discussed in the podcasts (see links below):

Disparity in health care has been an issue for a very long time. It not only affects different races, but also those that are less educated and those with lower-income. Creating awareness and understainding is crucial to implementing actions to reduce disparities in health. As a patient advocate, these issues allow me an opportunity to do some self-reflection and ask myself if I am a part of the problem or solution. Everyone is entitled to a comprehensive interview process, development of a health history and physical assessment, regardless of race, socio-economic and education background. And by being aware of my own biases, I can contribute to the improvement of our national healthcare system.

Part 3: Caring and Culture Self-Reflection:(Keep comments general no specific names or personal health issues should be discussed)

On one occasion when I was working in homecare, I observed a nurse hit an elderly client who was resisting taking her meds. I was very uncomfortable for having witnessed that. Turns out, she had a sore throat. The provider could have tried to empathize with the patient and find out why she was refusing her meds.

Two strengths I use to make my patient feel cared for are patience and following up.

I may unintentionally make a patient feel less cared for by not introducing myself sometimes or not explaining a procedure before I do it because I am rushing.