Reflecting on Penn Station

Watching the video on Penn Station was gut wrenching. The reason I say that is because I seriously hate closed spaces and things that can explode, Going through Underground tunnels. I would always say to myself “how the dhsdhsfjd, did they make a tunnel underground”?? when I come to the realization that I am sometimes literally underwater It is not a good feeling because I also have a fear of drowning, however I really enjoyed the video but it was so fearful to watch, I honestly would never risk my life to make a tunnel but some people literally risked their lives just so we can have what we have today. It was very sad to watch the sand hogs working tireless and dangerously. Suffering awful deaths and the Bends which is a disease from air decompression

over all I really enjoyed this video because it answered my long pondering of the matter of how tunnels are made, it also showed the massive work and crazy idea that worked but almost didn’t. It is something that we still use today, and to think we would have made much more tunnels after that with the technology that we have today.

” Describe the reasons why Grand Central Terminal had a different outcome than Penn Station. In other words, why was Grand Central saved and not Penn Station? What forces caused the different outcomes?” I think it took the sad and painful destruction of Penn Station for people to realize they have to protect these buildings. A lot of the people did not want it to happen again, because a lot of people relied on the old penn Station and to their dismay it was taken down, and they feared the same outcome for other buildings the community loved.

1 thought on “Reflecting on Penn Station

1. Susan Phillip

Tina,
    Thank you for your thoughts. Apart from your physical reaction, I also thought the video was “gut wrenching” but that reaction was too the cruel destruction of a beautiful and monumental building. Yes, we take for granted Cassart’s vision and the extraordinary work of the engineers and sandhogs. The sandhogs continue similar work on the second avenue subway.