Chamber Street Wines

As a student studying wine exploring and drinking wine is is learning experience. I decided to visit Chamber Street Wines at 148 Chambers Street for my retail beverage shop analysis after a late brunch near Tribeca. I had previously researched this wine store because it is conveniently located near the train station. While researching I learned that it was opened in 2001 and specialize in naturally made wines by small wine producers. According to chambersstwines.com they chose “wines that express their origins, the talent and commitment of the growers and winemakers, and the inherent quality of the vintage,” and it caught my attention and made me eager to go.

While walking along Chambers street I realized the store did not have the name to recognize you have arrived. Upon my visit to the wine store I spoke to several of the workers and it is interesting because they vary from many previous backgrounds. One of the worker’s’ name was John and he used to work in the financial district but he didn’t like working there and he decided to try retail at a wine store and he loves it and has been working as sales ever since. After conversing with him he told me they specialize in mostly old world wines such as France, Spain and Germany. There are discounted wines located at the front of the store and they list the producer, year and price. There are also wines exclusively available in the United States at this wine store such as LeRouge&Le Blanc. The store is organized by the type of wine, red or white and region. There is an area for red wines of France and Italy, red wines of France and Italy, sparkling wine, wines of united states, liquor and rose.

There are also maps which indicate the region the wine is from to help customers identify the wine they are looking for. They also have informational posters which helps you understand grape variety, both the white and red. It organizes wine by both acidity and its body or weight of wine. The poster is very helpful because it focuses on the flavors of the wine and also the region in which it is found.

Their clientele usually buys from the $15-20 range and are mostly from the neighborhood. They do most of their sales online and you can tell from the numerous boxes located in the store that they currently have a lot of orders, but it also makes the store look very messy and unorganized. The store has a wide variety but also a lot of empty spots which do not make a good presentation. They have a lot of different types of wines including wine in a box which is something that has recently started over the years. They also have specialized wine tastings and the one they had on Saturday was Spanish wine from 4-7 PM.

2016-03-12 14.01.21

Display in the middle of the store, contains magnums, old bottles and others that don’t on shelf

2016-03-12 14.16.08

White Wines of France

2016-03-12 14.20.06

How the old world wines are displayed

2016-03-12 14.20.57

Discounted wines located at the entrance

2016-03-12 14.07.44

Wine Grape Variety Poster

2016-03-12 14.21.35

Store front of Chamber Street Wines

3 thoughts on “Chamber Street Wines

1. I like the idea of the maps which indicate the region of the wine, and the information posters. They will be very helpful to customers specially when they do not know anything about wine.

2. I heard about the wine tasting on Saturdays, unfortunately i couldn’t make it on that day. Sounds like we can learn a thing or two with the tasting, and for just 20 bucks I’m sure it will be worth it.