Journal 7 – NYPIRG Experience

My internship role was one that consisted of various responsibilities which to my dismay, commonly deviated from my academic discipline and career interest. As a Communications Design major, I was hoping to do extensive design work in the hopes of honing my skills and consequently begin to truly solidify my career as a professional graphic designer. Instead, my duties were mostly geared towards social work such as student outreach both in person and via phone, and providing my assistance for tabling events to my supervisor, Jenna Bessette. Jenna is the project coordinator at NYPIRG City Tech and was my interviewer when applying for the position.

Jenna Bessette, Project Manager at NYPIRG and my supervsisor

The in-person interview process was a smooth sail thanks to Jenna’s friendly and relaxed nature which was to my utmost comforting. During the interview, she inquired about many topics such as my background, career goals and mostly importantly, my stance of social activism, the latter on which we found commonalities. Furthermore, she was equally open and receptive to questions I had concerning NYPIRG and their work, highlighting their most recent and ongoing women’s health campaign. The interview went so well that I was offered the position immediately on the spot. Admittedly, this was not my desired career choice but because the semester was halfway through the end, I found myself running against the clock to complete my required 120 hours and since my goal is to graduate this June, I was faced with no other choice than to take it. Throughout my internship, I always found myself to be asking to perform assignments within my discipline and thankfully, Jenna was receptive to my demands. She consequently began to assign me graphic design work such as designing social posts for our weekly chapter meetings and screening events as well as designing flyers for tabling events.