Ethics in Graphic Design – Entry II

aοΌ‰In my past projects and assignments, I sometimes refer to a lot of resources and works for inspiration, but I don’t copy them because I know it is unethical and even illegal to use other people’s works without permission. However, sometimes when I do painting practice, I will imitate some painter’s painting, but my behavior is not an infringement, because in AIGA’s GUIDE TO COPYRIGHT, the part of Fair use is written that one of the criteria for determining whether a work is fair or infringing is whether it is used for profit, and the painting I imitate was not for profit, but only as a personal training of painting.

The way I give credit to the artist is by indicating the original author and uploading the artist’s original work, so that people who see my paintings know that my paintings are only imitated. I think that using this method will not only improve my own painting and let more people know about the original artist, but also allow viewers to give me feedback by comparing the original with my copied work.

b) I think the Shepard Fairey case is a good reminder for designers and everyone who needs to use different resources, because some people will use other people’s work without any statement (for example, save as an image in Google Images and use it) but they won’t get any punishment in most cases, but this does not mean that this is correct, If your works that infringe copyright is influential enough or found by the original author, then you are likely to be severely punished, like the Shepard Fairey Case, so designers must not take chances to casually use other people’s works.

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/13/arts/design/13fairey.html