Ethics Assignment Part 1

Design Ethics are a very important part of the design process. It helps a designer be more aware of the professionalism required when handling outside images for a project and be aware of the context in which the project is using said images. After all, these rules exist to protect our work as well as others from infringement.

So far at my internship over at my workplace, the way we obtain images and company logos is from the company itself. Luckily my internship does not have a NDA (Non-disclosure Agreement) that needed to be signed so I can talk about the nature of my work. As this is Week 6 of the internship, at this time I am working on the social media campaign for a program called It’s Time For Chelsea. All the companies I am creating business promotions for on Instagram agreed to be in the program and has voluntarily submitted in pictures of their own business and logos.

Over at my workplace, we haven’t discussed proper handling out images we use that are from an outside source. However even before this class and reading the AIGA materials, whenever I was working on a paid project I made sure that whenever I used an outside image to credit the original author. I also made sure the images I was using were made for free commercial distribution. Thankfully a majority of the images I used when designing for the It’s Time For Chelsea campaign has been submitted by the companies themselves and cannot be altered.

Sources:

Crawford, Tad.  “Guide to Copyright” AIGA AIGA Business_Ethics 47556757-Guide-to-copyright-1-MB.pdf

Crawford, Tad. “Use of Photography” AIGA AIGA Business_Ethics 47556770-Use-of-photography-1-MB.pdf

Hawkins, Sara. “Copyright Fair Use and How It Works for Online Images : Social Media Examiner.” Social Media Examiner | Social Media Marketing, Social Media Examiner, 23 Nov. 2011, https://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/copyright-fair-use-and-how-it-works-for-online-images/.miner