FAQ

Have questions? Check here... (our Policies and Procedures are at the end)

1. “Are your services available during the Spring 2021 semester?”

Yes, all Writing Center services are available and accessible virtually this spring. Our Setmore scheduling system has a Zoom-like web conferencing tool that we use for 1-1 appointments. Workshops are held on Zoom, and the link is available when you click on the Workshop of your choice on the Workshops page. To keep up with the latest offerings, check the OpenLab site or follow us on Twitter or Instagram.

1. “Who are the writing tutors at the Writing Center?”

Our tutors are professional writers, English professors, and student advocates. To learn more, check out our tutor profiles. 

1. “How much does it cost to use the Writing Center?”

Our services are free.

1. “Who is the Writing Center for?”

All City Tech students, at any stage in their writing, are welcome at the Writing Center. We can assist in helping you understand the prompt, brainstorming, organization, research, and more. Since the sessions focus on giving you feedback on your writing, rather than editing or writing for you, we ask that you comce with your assignment prompt, a current draft or relevant materials, and specific goals you’d like to accomplish during your session. In most cases, we cannot help with written final exams. 

1. “Do I need to make an appointment to talk with a tutor at the Writing Center?”

Appointments are the most convenient and direct way to get help with your writing. While in-person tutoring offers the flexibility to drop in, online tutoring is currently appointment only.  

1. “Can I get help with English Language Learning Assignments? 

Unfortunately, we do not currently offer services for ELL/ESL assignments. For further assistance , please contact the ESL Writing and Language Lab. Starting February 22, 2021. Sign up here.

1. How do I make an appointment?

We use Setmore to book appointments. Use this link or the one on the Welcome page.  

1. “Can I request a particular writing tutor?”

Yes. When you make an appointment, you have the option to filter for times with a particular tutor.  However, all tutors can help you with any of your writing needs or concerns, regardless of the kind of paper you’re writing or the discipline you’re studying.

1. Can I sign up for repeating appointments?

You can book one appointment per week, two weeks in advance. Due to the high demand of our services, we are not offering repeating appointments beyond that at this time.

1.  “What should I do if I don’t have or know how to use Setmore?”

Check our home page for Setmore instructions.

1. “What should I do if no appointments are available?”

At some points in the semester, the Writing Center’s calendar can fill up as much as two weeks in advance. If you cannot find an appointment time that works for you, continue to check online several times a day, as you would if you were trying to register for a closed class. If someone else cancels, that time will open up. In the future, we hope to have waiting list sign ups.

1. “What should I do if I need to reschedule?”

Email us as soon as you know you need to reschedule. No-shows have certain penalties attached, and there are other students trying to make appointments, so it’s good practice to keep us informed.

1. “How far in advance do I need to cancel my appointment?”

Although you (and only you) can cancel until right before your scheduled appointment, we prefer that you cancel at least 24 hours in advance so other students have the opportunity to make an appointment. 

1. “What happens if I don’t cancel and then don’t show up for my appointment?”

You will be entered into the database as a “no-show” for that appointment. If you fail to show up for three appointments, you will not be able to book any more appointments for two weeks. If you cancel any of those, you will be required to meet with the Writing Center Director before resuming use of Writing Center services.

1. “What if I am late to my appointment?”

At 10 minutes after the hour when your appointment was supposed to start, you will be entered as a no-show and your tutor may be reassigned. If you’re running late but don’t want your appt cancelled, please reach out directly to your assigned tutor. We will certainly work with you for whatever time is remaining in your appointment.

1. “What kind of writing can I bring to the Writing Center?”

You can bring any sort of writing to either the online or on-site Writing Center. We give priority to academic work, but we also can provide assistance with application essays, grant proposals, or other writing. If you are working on an honors thesis, master’s thesis, or dissertation, you should plan to schedule multiple on-site visits and focus on parts of the longer project.

1. “What kind of help will I receive from a writing tutor?”

Writing Center coaches will discuss your writing assignments with you and share strategies for approaching a topic, organizing a paper, developing your style, or correcting recurring errors. Writing coaches may also direct you to other resources for further assistance. Writing tutors will not edit or proofread a paper or write any part of your paper for you.

1. “Will my instructor know that I have used the Writing Center?”

That’s generally up to you. If you are an undergraduate who is working on an assignment for a course, as part of our services, the writing coach will ask your permission to send a conference summary email to your instructor. This report describes what you and your coach worked on during your session 

1. “Is it okay for me to bring take-home exams to the Writing Center?”

Depends on the department…. For take-home exams, some instructors specify whether you may or may not bring your work to the Writing Center. Oftentimes, the answer is no.

1.  “Can I just send my draft over email and receive feedback?

Yes…. but you should still make an appointment before sending a draft, and put in notes that you want emailed feedback 

1. “Can I make face-to-face appointments as well as receive emailed feedback?

Yes, but be aware that both count towards your weekly session limit of 2 and require separate appointments. 

1. “How long of a paper can I bring to the writing center?”

Any length, but each session is limited to 45 minutes. Depending on the stage of your draft,  it’s likely you’ll have to make a follow-up appointment to have a paper more than 8 pages fully reviewed.

1. “What if I need to change something about my submission? What if I attached the wrong file by mistake?”

Update your appt as soon as possible by getting in touch with your tutor.

1. “How do I know that a writing tutor has responded to the paper I submitted online?”

You will receive an email with your reviewed paper.

1. “Who will have access to the material I submit in the Writing Center?”

Only you and the Writing Center staff.

1. Will you send a receipt to my professor after my visit?

Upon request, we can submit a form to your professor to confirm that you visited us. Please refer to the sign up form in order to request a confirmation. 

1. “How can I get the most out of my online tutoring session?”

Give your writing tutor as much information as possible. He or she will be relying on your submission form for context. It is particularly important that you let the tutor know what your top concerns are; this will help the tutor focus their attention and comments. Remember, the tutor is not your TA and cannot judge what aspect of your paper needs the most work; it is up to you to ask for the kind of feedback you think will be most valuable at this stage in your writing process. The best way to prepare for the session is to thoroughly fill out the form. 

1. Will visiting the writing center improve my grade on a writing assignment?

We can’t make any promises, but we hope to improve your writing skills overtime.

1. “Will you proofread my essay / paper / dissertation / article?”

If you’re asking whether we will go through your draft and mark (and perhaps correct) all of the errors, no, we won’t. We will help you develop the skills you need to be successful at City Tech, including writing, grammar, and proofreading. 

1. How can I contact the writing center? 

Please email us at citytechwritingcenter@gmail.com, or reach out to the writing center director at jbut@citytech.cuny.edu.