Foragers Market and restaurant

Growing up in a farm, surround by farm animals,and crops is how I lived for a while as a child. That time may have been short but it has stuck with me forever. I love the farm air and the animals and the food. Leaving the house to go and pick out breakfast and lunch from the fields, was a joyous experience.

One place that makes me feel like I am back in my farm looking for vegetables and gathering food is Foragers market at Dumbo Brooklyn.  Foragers Market is a family-run city grocer with old-fashioned sensibilities. They offer a large selection from local producers and artisans and locally grown produce from their own farm.

Their farm is located upstate. It was established in Canaan, New York in 2009 as a means to supply thier markets and restaurant with a consistent source fresh produce, the Foragers Farm has since become the upstate hub of Foragers. Foragers Farm is a small-scale market farm with 4 acres under intensive vegetable cultivation. The farms growing methods exceed organic standards, and most of the work is still done by hand. The crops are rotated  and the soil is replenished  each season with certified organic compost, cover crops, and mineral powders. In addition to raising vegetables, they have a pasture with over 100 laying hens of various heritage breeds. They personally know the farmers that provide their produce. All other produced that isnt grown in their own farms are delivered from other local distributors that also follow organic requirements. The meats and eggs are raised in small farms with standards of animal husbandry that exceed most organic and humane label requirements. The milk and dairy products are delivered from regional family dairy farms and come fresh every week, in the iconic foragers truck.

Visiting the market is always a treat. Any day you might see and meet the local artisan delivering a batch of freshly made yogurt, and see the butcher cut down a pig right in front of you. There is fresh food made everyday, ranging from regular deli recipes, to roasted chicken, broiled fish. The thing about all this food is that they are all organic or all- natural. Walking through the aisle is an adventure with all kinds of fresh produce, and meats. The possibilities are endless, only limited by the size of your wallet.