Week 2 Assignments

• Week 2 Assignments
  • GA DUE by MIDNIGHT, Thursday, September 11
  • LJ and RWA DUE by BEFORE CLASS BEGINS Monday, September 14
  • LEARNING JOURNAL 2
  • First, please spend 5 to 7 minutes free writing about how you learned to read and whether technology has and/or has not altered how you read and/or why you read.  Please try to include one to two specific examples in your discussion of this topic.

GROUP ASSIGNMENTS

• GA2.1:  Please read through Professor Rodgers’ “Some Answers to Questions About Our Syllabus” blog post.  If you find that your questions have still not been answered, please post your question(s) to the Open Lab.

GA2.2:  Please read through the introductions that your classmates have posted on our COURSE DISCUSSION BOARD and make sure that you are acquainted with everyone enrolled in the course.

• GA2.3: Read about PARAGRAPHS in your English Handbook.  Then, post a reply to the WEEK 2 ASSIGNMENTS POST that includes:  1/ One paragraph about what you have learned about paragraphs.  2/ Two to three outstanding questions about paragraphs.  

• READING AND WRITING ASSIGNMENTS

• Reading and Writing Assignment 2: Responding to Readings
  • Professor Rodgers
    City Tech
    ENG 1101:  College Writing

• In his book about college writing, Charles Bazerman writes:

“When you react to your reading, you start to make a link between the ideas suggested by the page and what happens in your mind—your responses. This link is essential for any kind of intellectual work. Because your reactions pass so quickly, turning your responses into words will help you hold on to them. Both writing notes in the margins of your books and keeping a reading journal will help you remember and develop your thoughts about reading.” (Chapter 2, The Informed Writer)

Last week, we read a bit about Active Reading.  This week, we are going to do some active reading.  I’d like you to first read pp. ___ – ___ of Professor Rodgers’ “What Is Writing?”  Afterward, please read Sherman Alexie’s essay entitled “Superman and Me.”  Then, please write a brief response to Alexie’s essay using the following template as a guide:

Begin with a paragraph introducing the text you are writing about.  Inform your reader of who the text is by, what the title of the text is, and what the text is about.  You can use the following template if you would like:  In his/her essay “Superman and Me,” Sherman Alexie writes about __________________________.

Your second paragraph will consist of a description of Alexie’s text (please note that according to MLA author referencing guidelines, the second time a writer is mentioned in an assignment or essay, we refer to his/her last name ONLY):  “Superman and Me,” which is an essay written in the _____ person, is ______________________.   The language in this text is __________________.   The sentences are ______________________.  The paragraphs are _______________.  The tone is ________________.

In your third paragraph, explain your personal response to the text and what you noticed about it.  Begin the paragraph by writing:  I think this essay is ___________  or This essay made me want to __________ or Choose your own beginning________.   Then, discuss what you noticed about the essay from a literal, structural, stylistic, and/or rhetorical perspective.

In your fourth paragraph, please think about the last paragraph of Alexie’s essay and consider and write about the following: In his final paragraph, Alexie shifts from a first person perspective to a third person perspective.  In your opinion, what are some possible reasons that might explain this switch/shift?  What effects does this switch/shift have on the reader?

Once you have written four paragraphs, please read over what you have written.   Do you have any interest or need to write a fifth paragraph?  If so, please do.  Finally, before you hand in this assignment, please VERY BRIEFLY explain in the margin of your assignment why you did or did not decide to write a fifth paragraph and, if so, what the purpose of that paragraph was, or, if not, why you decided it was unnecessary to write one.

25 Responses to Week 2 Assignments

1. EHarrison says:

What I have grasped from reading about paragraphs basically just sums up all of what I was taught about paragraphs from elementary until now. As far as what a paragraph consists of and how to formulate a paragraph and/or paragraphs. It entails 3 components which is the introduction, body, and conclusion. Each portion of the paragraphs differ slightly from one another. The introduction is basically grasping the readers attention. The body is what supports the introduction and gives supporting details for the main ideas of what the writing is about. Then followed by the conclusion which sums up the whole entire piece and in collection reinstates what the reading was about but coming to an end.

• Epiphany, When I first read your post, I thought you were explaining how each paragraph actually has its own introduction (topic sentence), body (evidence/other sentences), and conclusion (last sentence). But in re-reading your post, I’m wondering if you were actually writing about introductory paragraphs, body paragraphs, and concluding paragraphs and how these three types of paragraphs are distinct. Could you clarify for me whether you are writing about the structure of a single paragraph or the types of paragraphs? Thanks.

2. EHarrison says:

1.Do you feel paragraphs are necessary to have?
    2. How many sentences you believe a paragraph initially should have?

• Great questions. Paragraphs are a VERY late invention, and really arise only in the age of print (mid-15th c.). For expository writing, which most college writing is, they are very helpful to a reader and therefore, I think necessary. I think paragraphs are also good for writers of expository pieces because there is a limit to how long a paragraph can be and therefore, a writer cannot go on and on and on and on about a single point, but rather has to adhere to the length constraint set by a reader’s expectations regarding paragraphs. If you’re using paragraphs, they should never be more than half a page. They are generally five to seven sentences.

3. ninalopezx3 says:

From the reading I learned that everything has a formula, including body paragraphs. Paragraphs start off with a topic sentence, then into further explaining on that sentence; which leads into a signal phrase and support of the use of the quote. Lastly to end your paragraph you use a closing sentence to wrap everything up.

1. Do you feel like paragraphs need each of the elements to make a good paragraph?
    2. What elements do you think you must have in a paragraph?

• Nina, How many sentences is your paragraph about paragraphs?!?!?!? Perhaps you need a few more??? When you mention the “elements of a paragraph,” what exactly are you referring to? I think paragraphs in the majority of college essays need topic sentences. However, beyond that, I would have a tough time saying “absolutely, every paragraph must have these things.” Paragraphs present one idea to your reader. Every writer has his/her own way of writing paragraphs, which is something I hope you’ll note in the various readings we do this semester. Just like no one’s sentences are quite like anyone else’s, I think paragraphs are unique to a writer. So to (not) answer your question, or at least try to answer your question, how your paragraph functions for a reader is more important than anything else. Use topic sentences, transition sentences, concluding sentences as sign posts, not has formulas for your writing. (That last sentence employs a mixed metaphor, but at the moment, I can’t think of a non-mixed metaphor for what I am trying to communicate to you ;)).

4. By reading the section on paragraphs in the English handbook, I have a better understanding of what exactly a transition sentence is. It helps the writer finish a paragraph and links to next body paragraph. Also I learned the conclusion should include your purpose, audience, and tone. A conclusion is not supposed to be a reiteration of what was previously stated. It is supposed to serve as a thoughtful end to an essay.

Questions on the reading:
    1.) Can a topic sentence and the conclusion be linked in some way without repetition?
    2.) Can a writer include the purpose, audience and tone in the paragraphs before the conclusion? Is it best to just include them only in the conclusion?

• Adia, My question after reading your paragraph about paragraphs is that I should have done a better job letting students know what the purpose of this paragraph about paragraphs was! I wanted you to write an informative paragraph about paragraphs. What you have written is a good if slightly brief paragraph about what you learned about paragraphs. Could you try writing a paragraph in which you inform your reader of what your understanding of a good paragraph is? Could you also take a look at my replies to Epiphany and Nina’s posts? Both relate to what you have written in your paragraph. (I fear I will forever regret asking anyone to write a paragraph about paragraphs since it is pretty confusing to then discuss these paragraphs, no?!)

Your questions are really excellent ones. The answer to #1 is “yes, absolutely.” However, the real answer is HOW to do that and we’ll have to discuss that in class. As you point out, purpose, audience and tone are things a writer thinks about with respect to an entire essay and also with respect to EACH paragraph. In some ways, and this relates to Epiphany’s post (or my possible misreading of her post), each paragraph has its own rhetorical context in relation to the rhetorical context of the entire essay. This is particularly important with regard to how paragraphs relate to thesis statements. The purpose of each paragraph must relate directly to the thesis statement. Fortunately, we are not yet discussing thesis statements, so this is a great preview for what is to come later in the semester!

• After reading about paragraphs in the English handbook, I understand the different parts that make up paragraphs. They include: the topic sentence, the explanation of the topic sentence, signal phrase, the support of the explanation or use of quote, note on the quote (this is not necessary), and the transition or wrap-up sentence. By reading the section on paragraphs, I have a better grasp on the purpose of a transition sentence. It helps the writer finish a paragraph and links it to the next body paragraph. One other topic I knew but did not know the exact name for it, is the signal phrase. The signal phrase helps the audience understand that the following words will be a quote. Also I learned the conclusion should include your purpose, audience, and tone. A conclusion is not supposed to be a reiteration of what was previously stated. It is supposed to serve as a thoughtful end to an essay.

5. By reading the section on paragraphs in the English handbook, I have a better understanding of what exactly a transition sentence is. It helps the writer finish a paragraph and links to next body paragraph. Also I learned the conclusion should include your purpose, audience, and tone. A conclusion is not supposed to be a reiteration of what was previously stated. It is supposed to serve as a thoughtful end to an essay.

Questions on the reading:

6. In the reading I learned how to write a structured paragraph. Before this reading, I did not know that a paragraph can be divided into so many little parts. Back then, I did not know what to start the paragraph with, but now I’m introduced to topic sentences and that solved my problem. I use to write a concluding paragraph by repeating what I have in the introductory paragraph. Now I know what I can write in the concluding paragraph.

Questions:
    1. How to write a good thesis statement?
    2. It states not to repeat what’s in the introductory paragraph, but what if something is really important, can we repeat that?

• Ngon Ping, Thanks for this. I’m left wondering what the “little parts” of the paragraph are? Could you list them? By doing this, you will then make the paragraph you wrote more developed and of a more standard length. Please take a look at my comments to Epiphany’s post about paragraphs. I sense that you also may need to more clearly differentiate the two topics under discussion: how paragraphs are structured/how they are made/what they are made of and and the types of paragraphs included in an essay (introduction/body/conclusion). The assignment question did a very poor job of differentiating between these two issues which are, of course, related, but need to be distinguished.

Regarding your questions, thanks for these. We will talk specifically (and at length) about thesis statements and conclusions a bit later in the course.

Finally, when you re-write your paragraph to expand it and develop it, could you please also take a look at ANY INSTANCES OF DROPPED ENDINGS of words and make sure you add them? You are writing lovely and complete sentences. However, there is a dropped -ed ending in one of your verbs in this paragraph and I’ve noticed this is a consistent error in other writing I’ve seen from you. Thanks!

7. In the reading about paragraphs, I’ve learned what they are and how to properly structure and organize my paragraph. A paragraph is a group of sentences that discusses a single topic related to what you’re writing about. They usually start out with a topic sentence so you can capture your audience. The paragraphs consist of evidence that you will cite in order to inform, persuade, or to get the attention of the reader. If you structure your paragraphs right, you will have a successful paper.
    1) How can you write a great thesis statement?
    2) How exactly do you write a concluding paragraph?

8. Rodrigo,

This is a lovely paragraph. The topic sentence is excellent, and the paragraph is the perfect length. My question for you is, to what extent have you delivered on your promise to the reader made in your topic sentence? Does this paragraph actually explain how to “properly structure and organize a paragraph?” I would argue that it explains some important elements of a paragraph, but structure and organization could be seen as distinct from those. I know I’m being annoying, but I’m being annoying only because what everyone really wants to know about paragraphs is exactly what is contained in your topic sentence. Therefore, just for fun, perhaps you could take another look at your paragraph and ask yourself if it actually explains to your reader what your topic sentence claims will be explained.

9. Dear Epiphany, Nina, Ngon Ping, Adia, Cordelia, Eddie, Epiphany, and Rodrigo,

Thank you so much for these posts and for submitting them by the DUE date!!!!! I learned a lot from them both about paragraphs and about the clarity/quality of the assignment question. All of your paragraphs and questions made it very clear to me that each paragraph has its own rhetorical context that is related, but not always identical to the rhetorical context of the essay as a whole. I also learned how important it is to make it clear that paragraphs first are categorized by their function within the essay as a whole–introduction, body, paragraph–and only then can the structure/elements of each be discussed.

10. Eddie Siaca says:

Reading about paragraphs have shown me that, writing needs to be organized and structured in a way where the reader is put on a “path”, a sort of journey through your thoughts and ideas. Paragraphs make are incredibly necessary since they a part of the a whole usually known as an essay and parts and wholes go together but more importantly, at least in writing, parts help bring the whole out in a easy to understand way. A paragraph or the start of an essay should be a eye catcher, something catch the audience’s interest, and a fresh beginning for it is the beginning and you don’t want to start with referencing knowledge the reader may not yet know, “empty your cup” is the phrase I often here when it comes to starting something new.
    Three Questions:
    1) Is it okay for an introductory paragraph to be a little bit short?
    2) What’s the best way to open an introductory paragraph?

11. cordeeliaxo says:

The section on paragraphs assigned to us has taught me, essentially, what I already know. However, the reading went way more into depth about how the individual elements (introductory sentence, transition sentence, etc.) combine to make the standard paragraph. Despite already knowing about what goes into a paragraph, I have a much more thorough understanding of what a good paragraph is comprised of.

1. How can one write a well-developed, but, concise thesis statement?
    2. Do you believe that all of the specific elements stated in the English Handbook required in the standard paragraph are necessary for a good paragraph?

12. Barry says:

In all truths, this reading on paragraphs only served as a replenish to what i was taught in my junior and senior year of high school on paragraphs and their structural format. A paragraph serves as an overall topic broken down into bits to help the reader better grasp the ideas of what they have to say. It is a way to represent ideas and examples in a well organized and coherent matter, so the reader is not puzzled. Only a single topic is integrated into a paragraph, however, that topic can be further enlightened with the help of examples, quotations, negations or statistics and facts. Having written a whole eight page argumentative essay on nuclear energy as a senior paper in High School, I can say with certainty that i have grasped the basic knowledge of writing a paragraph based on and idea or thought with evidence or examples to back it up.

Questions:
    1. (for pro.Rodgers or anyone else) Are there different kinds of paragraphs that we don’t know of yet?
    2. None of the readings said how many sentences makes a paragraph. I went through all of high school debating this with my friends. How many do you guys think make an adequate paragraph?

13. Matthew says:

Reading about paragraphs online gave me a better understanding of whats expected to be in a paragraph. In each paragraph you must have one general topic that you must elaborate on and explain more about. You should use specific details and examples in writing each paragraph. Make sure you write a paragraph about ONE idea and don’t mix it with another. If you have something else to say, then start another paragraph.

1) Why do paragraphs have to start with a tab indent?
    2) Why do paragraphs have to have at least 3 sentences?
    3) Is there a limit to how many paragraphs you can write in an essay?

14. A paragraph to a text is like a an ingredient to a well cooked dinner, you would not want it to be off or it to be missing because it would mess up the whole meal. A paragraph consists of a few basic parts that have to be included for it to be a well cooked meal. The topic sentence explaining what the paragraph will be about and connected to the thesis statement. The explanation of the topic sentence. The signal phrase telling the reader that an upcoming statement is not yours, if you are using such a statement that is. Support for what you are claiming in your own words or through means of a quote. And finally a wrap-up sentence the concludes the paragraph and allows transitioning to the next paragraph, if applicable.

1) Will we be learning how to not make a paragraph too long or boring?
    2) How do you know when to end a paragraph and start the next one?

Thank you.

• Daytona,

I love the cooking analogy in your description of the role and importance of paragraphs! All of your points about what should often be included in a paragraph are also excellent. Regarding your questions, I’ll answer #2, which is the easy one, first: You start a new paragraph when you begin writing about a new idea. Regarding #1, you can make sure your paragraph is not too long by eye-balling it: if it is more than half a page then, depending on the rhetorical context ;) of the assignment, it may very well be too long. Regarding the boring part, you are not the only person who asked this! And the answer is: ummmmmmmmmmmm… as long as you are interested in what you are writing and/or believe it is important and necessary for your audience to understand what you are writing, then it is not boring.

15. Berenis Rosa says:

From what I learned reading about paragraphs is that they usually are dealing with one theme that’s connected but is divided into paragraphs, it is formed into a group of sentences that’s supporting the main idea. The information that being given in each of the paragraphs are related. Paragraphs is a way to help break down information. They should be all referred to a central idea, every idea that being shown should have it’s main points and evidence to explain the controlling idea. Last but not least they should be arrange properly.

what are ways to keep a paragraph interesting ?
    how long should paragraphs be ?
    what’s a great way to capture the reader in your introduction ?

• Berenis, Thanks for this. It is very helpful. One question I have for you is whether you could re-write your first sentence to clarify the points you make in it. I sense that you may be trying to make more than one point in this sentence. However, I’m not certain. By re-writing it, I have no doubt that I will be certain ;). Regarding your questions #1 and #2, please take a look at @Daytona’s post and my response to that, as well as to some of the other posts made before his. Regarding #3, the answer definitely depends on the rhetorical context in which you are writing. However, there are several tried and true ways strategies for writing an introduction. Do you know what they are? …

16. AlexusTodd says:

I read a lot of interesting facts about paragraphs that i didn’t know before. Some interesting points that i read about was the 3 things you need to always think about when writing purpose, audience, and the writer. When you are writing a paragraph you need to make to make sure your paragraph is about a main point and you are listing examples or information about it, not jumping around all over the place. I tend to do that sometimes when i write and that’s something that i need to work on . In a paragraph the first sentence needs to represent your purpose of your paragraph.

Questions:
    1.How long should you introduction , and conclusion be ?
    2. how do you make sure that your paragraphs aren’t boring and is keeping the reader interested.