GA5: What Is Grammar?

• 1/ In one to three sentences, describe your understanding of the term grammar and the basis for that definition, e.g., I’ve been told that I have bad grammar by teachers because I cannot spell well, etc.

2/ Look up the definition of grammar in a dictionary.  Write down the definition.  Please also include the title of the dictionary from which you took the definition and the page number on which the definition was found.  For example:  Definition of the term grammar.  The Oxford American College Dictionary (2002), p. 707.

• 3/ Your response to Question 1 is your own connotative definition of grammar.  Your response to Question 2 is a denotative definition of grammar.  In three to five sentences, please compare and contrast these, explaining what is similar and what is different about them in relation to each other.

19 Responses to GA5: What Is Grammar?

1. 1. Grammar is the spelling of words and the proper use of words. Having good grammar allows you to write well and have a good command on words.

2. Grammar: the set of rules that explain how words are used in a language
    Merriam-Webster Dictionary. Unknown page number. Definition from dictionary app.

3. Both of the definitions are similar. In the Merriam-Webster Dictionary it considers grammar to be a set of guidelines in order to properly use words in a language. In my definition I included the spelling of words but I did not mention anything about language.

• Thanks for this! I’m at an academic conference right now, and I will do my best to write some response before our next class, but if I’m not able to, we will discuss this post in our next class.

2. Nina Lopez says:

1. My way of defing grammar is the structure of a language that allows you to express yourself clearly and effectively.
    2. Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary 11th ed. Page 543 Grammar:a) the study of the classes of words, their inflections, and their functions and relations in the sentence. b) a system of rules that defines the grammatical structure of a language
    3. I think both definitions are very alike, and share the same meaning. My definition is how clear and efficiently you express yourself and the dictionary definitions states that result of your sentence that is clearly thought out and that makes sense with the topic. Both of these stress the fact to make sense of what you say and how you use the wording or ‘language’ correctly into portraying your topic.

3. 1. My understanding of grammar is basically that you know how to spell and use words properly. I think grammar reflects how you good you are in reading and writing. I usually have good grammar, most of the time.
    2. Grammar-the study of the classes of words, their inflections, and their functions and relations in the sentence
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/grammar
    3. I think my definition of grammar and the dictionary definition are pretty similar. They both state that grammar just knows how to use words. The only difference is that I think it reflects how good you are in reading and writing.

4. 1. Grammar is the way we use words to make sentences. The manner in which we order and choose certain words to create functioning sentences or passages.
    2. “Grammar: the study or use of the rules about how words change their form and combine with other words to express meaning” (source: http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/american-english/grammar)
    3. The dictionary definition says that it is about the rules, rather than the manner in which we use words. Rather than making sentences the dictionary says it is about expressing a “meaning. Furthermore I was fairly close to the dictionary definition. It’s more about rules however.

5. 1. Grammar are words that are used properly to make a sentence clear.
    2. Grammar: a) The rules of a language, for example for forming words or joining words together in sentence. b) The way in which sb uses the rules of a language. c) a book that describes and explains the rules of a language. Definition from Oxford intermediate learner’s English- Chinese Dictionary p.525-526.
    3. I think both definitions are similar. Both show that grammar are used properly to form a clear sentence.

6. Matthew says:

To me, grammar is a rule that applies when writing. It means to make sure you spelled everything correctly, added the correct punctuation, and made no mistakes.

grammar : the set of rules that explain how words are used in a language.

My understanding of the word grammar is similar to the dictionary definition. We both agree that there are rules when expressing words in a language. The difference here is that i thought grammar was only used in writing, while the dictionary uses grammar in both speaking and writing.

7. Eddie Siaca says:

1. Grammar is an agreed structure we use for writing to make sure we all right in a coherent manner.

2. Grammar: The whole system and structure of a language or of languages in general, usually taken as consisting of syntax and morphology (including inflections) and sometimes also phonology and semantics.
    http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/grammar

3. I find my definition lines up with the dictionary one quite well. It is a structure or framework used for writing to make sure we all make sense, in a way a rule book. My definition is only missing technical terms such as syntax morphology and phonology. In an English class I would expect it to go into details on the terms I didn’t mention but I think my idea of grammar is accurate with it none the less.

8. Barry says:

1.In my understanding grammar is the structural format of a sentence to make it understandable. Grammar is utilized to help fix a sentence if it
    sounds weird or just dosen’t make sense. When writing sometimes i don’t recognize my own mistakes in the grammar because i dont pay attention to it until it is read back to me.
    2. According to the online oxford dictionary grammar means The whole system and structure of a language or of languages in general, usually taken as consisting of syntax and morphology (including inflections) and sometimes also phonology and semantics.
    source:http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/grammar
    3. The oxford defentiton differs from mine in the sense that it gives a more detailed explanation of the definition. Unlike mine the dictionary points out “structure, language and syntax as part of the defenition”. Both however have the same idea that its a means of structurally wording a sentence or phrase to make it clearer or simpler.

9. 1. To my understanding Grammar is about the language you speak and how to use words properly.
    2. Grammar: (n) System of speaking and writing a language. Webster’s New Pocket Dictionary (2000) p.141
    3. I believe my definition is close to the dictionary’s. The dictionary definition just includes writing, which I actually forgot.

10. Berenis Rosa says:

Grammar to me is the structure in which you use words, such as spelling them correctly, grammar is used to help write correctly as well as helping to write our sentences properly.

the study of the way the sentences of a language are constructed; morphology and syntax. Found on the online dictionary

Both of these definitions are very common because as said in the dictionary ” the study of the way the sentences of a language are constructed” apply to when I mention how grammar is used with how we write our words and how properly are sentences are written.