Suchi R..

Laura Franks, a women whom stands differently. She is tired of trying to fit into what society has constructed out for her, and most importantly she is tired of hiding herself from the fear of humiliation.

She refuses to play “gender games,” which we all know is the fine standard division between men and women. She states, “now I know what it feels like to be laughed at. It is frustrating, but not frightening.” Meaning, she knows the amount of humiliation that will be brought out to her by the public and her peers if she chooses to go against her gender role but, at the end of the day it wont be something “frightening” in other words, terrifying, tragic, or a sight not worth seeing.

Laura is able to brake through and indifferent herself from the rest of society/public and her peers. She gives herself/readers comfort with the statement, “broken bones don’t hurt forever.” Therefore, she is strong to her beliefs and with a new revolutionary it is however natural to have a bit of fear. Laura enhances readers her changeling breakthrough as a women.

In the book the Bell Jar, written by Sylvia Path, the narrator Esther is also living in the fear of humiliation. She states “if I ever get to Chicago, I might change my name to Elly Higgginbottom for good. Than nobody would know I had thrown up a scholarship at a big eastern women’s college and mucked up a month in New York and refused a perfectly solid medical student for a husband who would one day be a member of the AMA and earn pots of money. In Chicago, people would take me for what I was.” (pg.136 pdf) Esther is going through depression and figures by running away to Chicago all her problems will be solved. She doesn’t have to worry about anyone’s opinion and most importantly she no longer has to hide her real identity. She doesn’t eat or sleep for many days. Her in law sends her of to Dr. Gordon who is a psychiatrist and he later sends her of the shock institution. At this point Esther’s mom is now effected, she gets emotional about her daughters rout. Esther doesn’t properly perform the gender role that is expected of her because, she states “and, one day I might just marry a virile, but tender, garage mechanic and have a big cowy family, like Dodo Conway. (pg. 136 pdf) Like most typical girls who would rather have a man with good income and good status Esther is the opposite. She also refuses to play “gender games” just like Laura however Esther isn’t able to breakthrough yet.

4 thoughts on “Suchi R..

1. “and, one day I might just marry a virile, but tender, garage mechanic and have a big cowy family, like Dodo Conway.” This is a great quote to show that Esther refuses to play gender games. I do agree that this shows that she is not going with society, who’s advice would be to find a wealthy husband, and start a beautiful family instead Esther rather’s no to.

2. I agree that she has a fear or humiliation, but unlike Laura Franks Esther is unable to face that fear to overcome it. I really like the quote you chose because it shows that Esther has the potential to overcome her fear of humiliation.

3. I agree with you that she is scared of being humiliated because she is getting no where in life. And she can’t fulfill the role of a woman that society wants her to fulfill. I also like you interpretation about Laura Frank’s reading.