Doreen

One of the other female characters in the novel that is not Esther is her “friend” Doreen. The reason why I put quotation marks around that word is I not so sure if they are really true friends. In the book “The Bell Jar”, she is a character that is introduced as this attractive 10 out 10 female that can make any guy fall for her with a glance. She is from a society girls’ college down south and is described to me as someone who is only interests in her appearance and having a good time with whoever is available at the moment. She values going out and and turning up. During my reading we see that she hooks up with this guy that she just met named Lenny and one moment they are all over each other kissing and taking a long drink and the next we see her hanging on to his left earlobe with her teeth.The way Esther see Doreen can be viewed as someone who has the best friend who everyone loves and every time they walk in a room everyone turns to catch a glimpse while she is just the sidekick to her hero. During the reading so far the represent of the positive role of a woman, a negative role, or something else shows me that Doreen is a negative role. The reason being is that she hooks up with people she has know for less then a day and comes home a mess just shows me that she is unfit to lead the next generation. I understand that she is young and she should go and have fun but there’s a limit to that and she went over it. She is a character that doesn’t care about her job at the magazine like Esther and being on time she is one that goes to out and parties with strangers. She is full of confidence and doesn’t have her mind set on a real goal at the moment she is living for the moment and that is fine.

3 thoughts on “Doreen

1. Hi Ese. I agree with you, I don’t think Doreen and Esther have a mutual friendship. Esther seems more jealous of Doreen and her looks and this makes her feel sad and alone when they hang out.

2. I agree with you, i don’t think Doreen represents a good example of a woman because of her nonchalant and free attitude. Her actions around Esther also show that she is a bad example of a friends, especially with Lenny