MET MUSEUM

The Met is one of the most famous museums in the world and the center of art in NYC. Over 5,000 years of art, more than 2 million works and more than 30 annual exhibits. The MET is home of the annual Met Gala, “fashion’s biggest night out”, the Met welcomes over 7million visitors every year. The Metropolitan Museum of Art was founded in 1870 for the purposes of opening a museum to bring art and art education to the American people. It opened on February 20, 1872, and was originally located at 681 Fifth Avenue.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art of New York, colloquially “the Met”, is the largest art museum in the United States. With 7.06 million visitors in 2016, it was the third most visited art museum in the world, and the fifth most visited museum of any kind

The collection consists of works of art from classical antiquity and ancient Egypt, paintings, and sculptures from nearly all the European masters, and an extensive collection of American and modern art. The Met maintains extensive holdings of African, Asian, Oceanian, Byzantine, and Islamic art. The museum is home to encyclopedic collections of musical instruments, costumes, and accessories, as well as antique weapons and armor from around the world. Several notable interiors, ranging from first-century Rome through modern American design, are installed in its galleries.

We chose the MET museum because is one of the most amazing museums of the world. It has a large collection of art from all over the world both ancient and modern art. You can watch and learn so much there and there are always new exhibitions. I been there 4-5 times and all the times it’s amazing as the first time. I knew about the museum because is one of the most famous in New York, I think the most famous. The word of mouth was the first source but the MET has a strong marketing and advertising program that bring millions of tourist every year. The admission price is $25 dollars per adult, 17 per senior and 12 students. New York residents and students can pay what they wish by presenting a valid ID. The closest transportation by the museum is train 4, 5, 6  and the bus BxM2. Every year the museum hosts 7 million visitors from all over the world, and all the ages. I felt very comfortable, I felt welcomed and when I needed help with direction the stuff was very friendly and efficient. I learned that elephants were used during the war for centuries in India and there was a special attachment, as a weapon to their horns, and there are only 4 left in the world. I learned the museum has a good store inside where you can find many interesting items. During “Heavenly Bodies” exhibition I learn that famous designers use and reproduce wedding dresses after medieval fashion of the church. I learned to walk faster and be oriented better in the museum.

The website of the museum is user friendly because it shows all the information you need, like hours, prices, events, upcoming exhibitions, etc. Overall it was a great experience and I would recommend everyone to visit it.