Samples of blogs

Blog#1

Author: Tin Nguyen Posted Date: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 1:42:58 PM EDTEdited Date: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 1:42:58 PM EDTTotal views: 36 (Your views: 2).

My clinical class is located at 80 Pitt Street in the Lower East Side community. Grand street settlement provides assistance to low-income senior citizens of all ethnic and racial backgrounds. The Grand Street settlement also assists the seniors to overcome their financial, physical and social difficulties. It is a best place for the seniors to socialize with their friends or meet the new friends. The settlement’s goal is promote the seniors to live a healthy and productive life. Some services at the Grand street settlement are meals, referrals, health screening, art and cultural workshops, physical and recreational activities. I’m so happy to provide the blood pressure screening for the seniors who come to the Grand street settlement.

Blog#2

Author: Tin Nguyen Posted Date: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 2:00:33 PM EDTEdited Date: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 2:00:33 PM EDTTotal views:38 (Your views: 3).

At 80 Pitt Street, we are also participating to conduct the survey for people who are living in around the area. The survey asks general questions about each individual age, ethnic background, health insurances and general health problem. The survey will assess the needs of this particular community and they are looking for the grand from the government to provide more services for the seniors in this community. It is time-consuming because it will take 20 to 30 minutes to complete the survey. The seniors may not interest, unless we give out a gift bag after the survey. By doing the survey, it helps me to connect and understand more about the seniors who is living in this community.

Blog#3

Author: Tin Nguyen Posted Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 3:45:40 PM EDTEdited Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 3:45:40 PM EDTTotal views:9 (Your views: 2).

At Grant street settlement, I had a great opportunity to give an educational presentation for the seniors at the community center. Denique and I had a presentation about fall prevention for the old adults. In order to provide a better education, effective communication is an important aspect. I always think appropriate words which will promote the senior’s understanding about my presentation. My part covered some interventions to prevent fall for older adults. The interventions are exercise, increasing intake of vitamin D, and proper usage of devices. I included some pictures to promote their understanding. I explained the pictures in detail, especially the correct usage of canes. I also encouraged all seniors to participate in a demonstration about the simple exercises. In order to instruct the senior about the proper usage of the cane, I assessed their habit about the cane’s usage. I identified that one senior has an incorrect way of the cane’s usage and helped him to correct it. However, it’s hard because he seemed to develop the habit of holding the cane on the weak side. It’s a great experience for me. I enjoyed the participation of the seniors. They asked questions and showed some understanding about our presentation.

Blog #4

Author: Tin Nguyen Posted Date: Monday, May 13, 2013 11:44:28 PM EDTEdited Date: Monday, May 13, 2013 11:44:28 PM EDTTotal views:6 (Your views: 2).

On April 24 2013, I have an opportunity to do a role play about the scams. Our team has four members. We are working together to develop an appropriate sketch. We divide our team into another two teams. One team plays a wrong way to handle the scam. For instance, the victim offers all important information about herself for a scammer through the phone. Then, another team plays a proper way to handle the scammer. The best way to solve the problem is to avoid telemarketers in the first place. Hang up immediately is appropriate action. We also provide the seniors some tips to avoid the scams. For instance, don’t give out personal information to the callers that you don’t know. Don’t let anyone persuade you to make a decision immediately. Tell the caller that you need time to think about it. Check up the offers you receive before sending money. Ask for written information and check up from the companies for verification. Always read over your phone and electric bills carefully. If you throw out your credit card and bank statement bills, you need to tear them. People may look through your garbage to get your information. After the role play, we gave the seniors time to participate any concerns or questions. They seem very friendly and shared their own experiences about the scams. Each individual has a different way to response to the scams, but the important aspect of the discussion is to avoid being the scam victims. Thus, all seniors have a good idea to avoid it. It’s really great to present some idea and let people discuss about it. I learn a lot after this clinical day.