Professional Essay

Tinahyah Mualliums

I’m pursuing an Associate’s degree in Human Services, to obtain a Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood Education at New York City College of Technology located in Brooklyn NY. As I reside in the same borough being close to home is a very comfortable feeling, and the commute is convent. Since I am the youngest of five children I have to live to live up to my parent’s high expectations. I hope to be the third college graduate among my parent’s children.

Joining the Human service major was optional, but I found this field more attuned to my inclination than any other discipline. To help connect the people in need in the communities been my passion. When I was child my family house caught fire, and my parents lost everything they had, but thanks to the outreach and efforts human service professionals who connected us to appropriate resources over the crisis to , and get our lives back in order. Although I was young at the time it was a traumatic experience for me to see my sibling cry and my mother look helpless and hopeless. I remember the experience of resilience in my family to overcome unimaginable difficulties. It would have been impossible without the timely assistance we received. This has persuaded me over the years to chase a promising and rewarding career in human services.

Everyone is blessed with strengths to make him or her unique as a professional. As the youngest of five children and a fleet of cousins I come from a big family. While growing up I always interacted with my family to share ideas ideologies and experiences of coping with problems is life. I am very accessible and believe this is an attribute to a successful human service professional. My cousins  have always counted on me when they needed to talk to someone about their problems in life. The multicultural community I reside in is exposed to multiple problems including poverty, substance abuse , and violence among others requiring social services, intervention, not always available when they all needed most. My best friend was Puerto Rican so I was able to experience and understand that regardless of our cultural differences the psychosocial economic problems affect us all. I am open to people from different culture and I try to understand what makes their culture different from mine own. The fact that I can embrace differences as an attribute rather than a deficiency adds to my strengths as a potential human service professional in the future.

I worked in a daycare center during a summer vacation and just fell in love with kids. I also worked in an office faxing, filing and making appointments for people which wasn’t so bad. But my passion for working with children encouraged me to pursue a Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood education. I believe children are the driving force of our society and their unhindered development is very important to shape the future of the nation and the world.

The client populations I will love to work with are children and adolescents. I believe that after receiving my bachelor’s degree I will continue ongoing training to be constant professionally ready to serve this population.

My vision of a career path from the time of graduation to ten years following is to continue to work for children and adolescents in the challenging world , consistent with my abiding interest, in order to build a better future for all.

In conclusion, as the narrative of my life continues to unfold.  I want to remain focused on the career goals and objectives I so cherish. Human services major have opened my eyes to what it will be like to translate my dreams into reality.