Category Archives: S4

Is the Samsung Galaxy S4 worth the upgrade?

As you all have heard, Samsung has released a follow up to the successful Samsung Galaxy S3, the  Galaxy S4. Many have said the Galaxy S4 is not much of an upgrade to the previous generations specifications, which include software upgrades as well as a larger screen, but is it worth upgrading?

The Galaxy S3 came with a 4.8″ AMOLED display with a resolution of 1280×720, that produced a ppi of 306. The Galaxy S4 has been upgraded to full AMOLED, HD 1080p 5″ display, wich produces a whopping 441 ppi. At this point in smartphone game, that is considered the standard. In short, the two are incredibly close, and you’d probably be happy with either one. But the Galaxy S4 defentily edges out the S3 in color reproduction that offers much deeper blacks and much richer colors.

Some of the software added by Samsung are pretty much gimmicks, added to show what future smart phones can offer, but do not really function as advertised in real life adaption. One of the major features being advertised is smart scroll. This allows you to scroll up and down and move from page to page with the movement of your eye. It sounds enticing and I for one was excited about this feature. After my review of the phone, I found the feature to be more frustrating than assisting, I found myself moving my eyes and then my head with no luck of movement, but I did accomplish looking like an idiot in the process.

The camera which everyone uses for Facbook, Twitter, Instagram, and the many other dozen social media apps was a joy to use. With a 2 megapixel front and 13 megapixel rear cameras with built-in HDR and panoramic modes. Also allows users to choose the best facial expression among multiple options, take action shots that include multiple images of a person in one picture and still photos combined with short sound recordings.

So, is the S4 worth the upgrade? Coming from the S3, I do not think so. It is pretty much the same phone with slightly bigger screen and a better camera. But if your coming from an older model, like the S2 or if your thinking about making the switch from one of Apple’s iPhone’s, the Samsung Glaxay S4 will not disappoint. An in-depth review of the Samsung Galaxy S4 can found at Engadget