Design III

Assignment V- Reflection

For this project I have learned that when creating a structure such as a library with multiple stories, a structural grid must be created. The structural grid will help us with furniture layout, electrical lighting, pluming, columns, etc. During the presentation I was able to make the corrections that I needed to make and the small revisions that needed to be done. Also, I was able to correct my section and redo my renderings of my design. There wasn’t a lot of feedback except for the compliments I was given. While being in this class I was able to learn much more about the structure development and most of all the codes that are used when creating the building and its design.

Assignment U- Final Presentation DevelopmentFinal Presentation project 3

Assignment T- Final Presentation: Site Section DrawingsSECTION

Assignment S- Final Presentation: Plan Drawings

This next assignment was to create multiple floor plans that is cut 4′ from the existing ground showing the spacing of how the program works. The scale of these floor plans is 1/16’=1′-0″ and is TRUE NORTH.

Basement Floorbasement

Main FloorMAIN FLOOR

Second FloorSECOND FLOOR

Third Floor3RD FLOOR

Assignment R- Digital Model Development

For this next assignment we had to create multiple views showing the different spaces of both the inside and outside the selected parti.

Isometric Viewaxon

Close up Perspective 1Close up perspective

Entire Building Perspective 2 entire building perspective 1

Inside View of Entry/ Lobby entry lobby view perspective

Entry View with Stairsentry view w stairs

Green View looking East-green view looking east

Interior 1interior 1

Interior 2interior 1a

Interior 3interior 2

Interior 4 interior 3

Interior 5interior 4

Iso looking Westiso looking west

Queens Aerial looking Westqueens aerial view looking west

Queens View looking West queens view looking west

Street View 1stree view 1

Street View looking Southstreet view looking south

Top Viewtop

Water View looking Eastwater view looking east

Assignment Q-Refinement of Selected Parti

For this next assignment, we had to choose one configuration that would meet the standards of the project and how we would let the program flow. During the crit/pin-up I decided that I will be going with the second diagrammatic configuration. I have more information to work with and I have many more opportunities to create.Capture

Assignment P- Parti Diagramming

This assignment was asked to develop 3 dimensional parti diagrams that is showing us five configurations. This includes solar response, approach, relationship to views, circulation, and hierarchy.

Diagram 1Parti configuration 1

Diagram 2Capture

Assignment O- Library Space Model and Views

For this next part we then had to create two to three configurations of the library using the topography provided. For each configuration, we therefor had to diagram them by taking 3 photographs of each, include 1 bullet point for describing a strategy and about the configuration, and lastly we had to then chose two out of the three configurations and create a structural grid.

Model 1

• For this first model I decided to have a program where the main reading space is 20′ below grade and the rest of the space is above grade. Its is located in the center of the space where people could access it from all angles.
  • The reading space is supposed to have multiple levels which will create mezzanines so people will have the feeling of open space when they look both up and down into the space. set 2-1 set 2-3 set 2-2pdfPhoto Jun 22, 11 25 45 AM

Model 2-

• This next model has to do with how light will come in through the spaces of the building and the views that will be accessible to the public.
  • For the glazing of the building there could be lovers on the roof or perhaps glass paneling on the windows. set 1-3 set 1-2  set 1-1

Assignment N- Library Program + Modules – Digital

The next step was to take the floor plans of the configurations and turn them into individual models with walls. This concept will help give use a better understanding of how the space is looking at both wall to wall distance and ceiling to floor height.

thumb_IMG_4559_1024 thumb_IMG_4561_1024 thumb_IMG_4562_1024 thumb_IMG_4563_1024 thumb_IMG_4564_1024thumb_IMG_4566_1024

IMG_4564 STAFF

Assignment M- Library Program + Modules – Digital

This next assignment, we had to create 7 configurations that have to do with this next project. Because the project is a library, we had to create multiple spaces that corresponds to the given square footage.

Back of the HouseBack of house 24.5'x40'This space has a total given square footage of about 890′. Inside this space has to include the other types of spaces which are the Janitor’s Closets, Restrooms (female side and male side) and lastly the storage area. The spacings that is given will me able to meet the required accommodations to the  people visiting.

Children’s LibraryChildren's Room 45'x1 This space has a total given square footage of about 2,250′. Inside this space included other types of spaces which are the book center, quiet Area, and Interactive Area. The spacings that is given will me able to meet the required accommodations to the  people visiting.

Community SpacesCommunity Space 25'x42' This space has a total given square footage of about 2,100′. Inside this space included other types of spaces which are the Community Room, Café (Separate entrance from plaza) and Café Storage. The spacings that is given will be able to meet the required accommodations to the  people visiting.

Entry Lobby

Entrance Space 30'x25' This space has a total given square footage of about 750′. Inside this space included other types of spaces which are the Circulation and information desk. The purpose of this space is to have people go to their required destinations. The spacings that is given will be able to meet the required accommodations to the  people visiting.

Reading Room + StacksReading Space 50'x101.5'This space has a total given square footage of about 5,075′. Inside this space would include a series of levels creating mezzanine levels for people to get a look of the building inside and seeing the large circulation that is a involved into this specific room. Each level will have the following categories for people to go to which include: books and periodicals, worktables and seating, computer stations, soft seating, and book distribution storage.  The purpose of this space is to have people go to their required destinations. The spacings that is given will be able to meet the required accommodations to the  people visiting.

ResearchResearch Soace 25'x52'This space has a total given square footage of about 1,300′. Inside this space included other types of spaces which are the reference desk, computer workstations, soft seating, and large conference room. The purpose of this space is to have people go to their required destinations. The spacing that is given will be able to meet the required accommodations to the  people visiting. This area is suitable for both students and businesses to do their work weather its having meetings to school projects.

StaffStaff 20'x40'This space has a total given square footage of about 920′. Inside this space includes the staff offices and staff lounge/ copy area. This room will be were the workers of the library can do their every day duties and have conference meetings in there own private environment.

Assignment L-  Site Analysis

The objective of this assignment was to construct a site analysis based on the new location for the design of a library. We had to diagram the important buildings around site, views, attractions, etc.site

Final Presentation BoardFinal Presentation

Assignment K- Reflection

After the final presentation of project 2, the feed back received has helped me. I was told to go back and correct my section cut using the correct line types, show the relationship of my climate through the site, have my floor plans shown, and replace the previous diagrams with the selected parti diagrams. Also one thing I did add was my stairs to show the circulation of how the space is being utilized and to show how you can get to one level of a house if standing a different level. The stairs that were developed are spiral stairs. To develop the stairs I had to go through a small process that involved mathematics to find the correct dimensions as each step gradually wider at the ends. To top it off I am going to create a model to scale showing the actual spaced and therefor the model will be contained into 4 removable parts allowing the viewer to see what it looks like inside and the function.

Assignment J- Site Section Drawings

After creating the floor plans, we then had to show sections through our model to show the spaces of the room and the relationship between the outside and inside.section comp

Assignment I- Plans

The next step was to create plans cutting 4′ from the ground of our model and using a variety of layers with different line types and thicknesses. The scale of these floor plans is 1/8’=1′-0″ and is TRUE NORTH.

First Floor PlanFLOOR 1

Second Floor PlanFLOOR 2

Assignment H- Digital Model Development

For this next assignment we had to create multiple views showing the different spaces of both the inside and outside the selected parti. During this process changes were made due to how the condition of the was reacting to my selected parti configuration.topTop View

water viewWater View

Approach 1 Approach 1- Entrance to Relation Space

Approach 2 Approach 2- Entrance to Circulation Space

interior 1 Interior Space 1- Small partition of the stair case along with the opened up space.

interior 2 Interior Space 2- Upstairs view showing little entry to the grooming space.

Perspective 2 Axon View 1- This view is showing the top and the front facade along with very little view of the interior.Perspective 1Axon View 2- This view is showing the spaces inside of the model on a close but almost angled view.Perspective 4 Axon View 3- This next view is just a parallel view to show the back of the model.

Stair closeup View at stairway 1- This is a view of the stair way showing both the inside space of how the stair is shaped and outside space showing the dog trot.

Stair view 2 View at stairway 2- This view just goes into depth with stairs showing the curve.

Stair view 3 View at stairway 3- Showing the top of the stairs and how it goes down.

Stair view 4View at stairway 4- Close up view inside the house of the stairway

Assignment G: Refined Selected Parti

ApproachClimate ResponseApproachProgramCirculation

Assignment F: Parti Development Review

The objective of this assignment was to document the five configurations that has to correspond with Assignment C: Climate Analysis and the chosen climate zone. The presentation for the diagram configurations had to include a diagram of the circulation, how the sun affects the building, determine what space is being used (private or public), views, entrance and approach, and etc. During my presentation my I as able to discuss my concept for each of the diagrams created. The feed back I received has helped me. Therefore I was told to go back into my diagrammatic configurations and improve them by completing the other three diagrams, fix the orientation of my north arrow, correct the angles of how the sun and winds are directed onto my site and structure, and to watch out for how the spaces are oriented on the site and how it can connect to my climate zone. After I received the feedback I was hopping for, I then went back into my diagrammatic configurations and improved them by making the changes that needed to be made.

After making the reviews i have received and based on both the climate zone an analysis I have decided to go with Diagrammatic configuration no. 3. This diagram was showing spacial flow between the six forms that were created and the site. Both my site, climate zone and climate analysis play a very important role. To build a series of forms which then leads to a structure I would first need to know the site where I will be building on, the climate zone that I am in and I would then have to make and observation based on my location. The structure I created has an open space between two forms which then became a dog trot. This open space will let air flow come through and could be used as a over hang in which where the weather takes place.

For the next part of this process, I will go and make some fine adjustments to my model. I will need to start creating floor plans, Sections, and elevations with either pooch or very thick line weights, a facade, and perhaps grading of my land  depending on how far I my structure is into the site. Some thing I would need to do is create a tope view of my structure using the topography contours and place multiple trees.

Assignment E: Final Diagrammatic Configurations

Diagram 1:Diagraming Configuration- 1

Diagram 2:Configuration diagram- 2

Diagram 3:Diagram Configuration- 3

Diagram 4:Diagram configuration 4

Diagram 5:configuration diagram 5

Assignment D: Configuration Strategies 

Model Configuration #1:

Digital Views:

Top ViewPlan 1

Perpective 01Perspective view 2

Perspective 02Perspective view 1

Photographed:

Top ViewPhoto Jun 07, 10 12 02 AM

Perspective 01Photo Jun 07, 10 12 18 AM

Perspective 02Photo Jun 07, 10 10 10 AM

Model Configuration #2:

Digital Views:

Top View Plan 1

Perspective 01Perspective 2

Perspective 02Perspective 3

Photographed:

Top ViewPhoto Jun 07, 10 22 07 AM

Perspective 01Photo Jun 07, 10 22 21 AM

Perspective 02Photo Jun 07, 10 23 08 AM

Model Configuration #3:

Digital Views:

Top ViewPlan 1

Perspective 01Perspective 1

Perspective 02Perspective 2

Photographed:

Top ViewPhoto Jun 07, 11 01 06 AM

Perspective 01Photo Jun 07, 11 00 38 AM

Perspective 02Photo Jun 07, 11 01 20 AM

Model Configuration #4:

Digital Views:

Top ViewPlan 1

Perspective 01Perspective 1

Perspective 02Perspective 2

Photographed:

Top ViewPhoto Jun 07, 11 10 21 AM

Perspective 01Photo Jun 07, 11 11 17 AM

Perspective 02Photo Jun 07, 11 08 09 AM

Model Configuration #5:

Digital Views:

Top ViewPlan 1

Perspective 01Perapective 4

Perspective 02Perapective 2

Photographed:

Top ViewPhoto Jun 07, 12 44 12 PM

Perspective 01Photo Jun 07, 12 44 34 PM

Perspective 02Photo Jun 07, 12 43 33 PM

Assignment C: Climate Analysis

Climate Analysis

• Reduce key amount of moisture in air
  • Open space for prevailing winds to provide a cool and comfortable environment
  • Shading and shelter from the outdoor spaces during weather conditions and indoor protection from outside radiation form the sun.

Shade (use of trees and plants):

• Create a use of terracing that is outside that then converts to overhangs for the blockage of direct sun light
  • Orientation of the sun path
  • Outdoor space
  • Creating boundaries where there is height, shape, and privacy

Winds:

• Having the use of shutters during the tropical weathers such as hurricane season
  • Hot/ cold winds
  • Infiltration can be created by the direction of the wind
  • Open spaces for winds to circulate through the spaces around or created
  • Air pressure

Structure Material:

• Steel
  • Concrete

*** These specific materials would be used as a support system due to my climate zone which is Hot and Humid. This specific zone is prone to a lot of tropical rain falls and is zone to very strong winds and possible hurricanes.

Façade Material:

• Stucco/ stone
  • Brick
  • Louvers

Air Movement:

• High ceilings
  • Cool environments

Hot and humid climates:

• Plants/ trees: soil is able to absorb moisture and supply correct nutrients
  • Grass and other ground covers are capable of reducing the air temperature.

Assignment B: Making Modules

Relaxation Space:Relaxation space

Eating Space:Eating space

Cooking Space:Cooking space

Grooming Space:Grooming space

Sleeping Space (large):Sleeping space (Large)

Sleeping Space (small):Sleeping space (small)

Assignment A: Modules for Living

Relaxation Space:Relaxation SpaceRelaxation SpaceRelaxation Area

The relaxation space is supposed to be a very cozy place for people to sit down, relax, and hang out. This room in particular has opened windows to see the wildlife, entertainment, it is very cozy, not to large nor to small, quiet space area to just sit down and have peace to themselves, and it is a good area for company to just sit back. Having a relaxation space which is also know as a living room is good because you can sit down, enjoy a cup of tea/coffee/wine and destress yourself from a long day.

Eating Space:Eating SpaceEating SpaceEating Area

This space which is known as dinning area has windows to see the outside views, dining area for occasions and ordinary days, very large and opened, good for dinning, cozy, entertainment, and average length floor to ceiling height.

Grooming Space:Grooming SpaceGrooming SpaceGrooming Area

The grooming space is not to big nor small. Its a good size for some one to do what they have to do and then carry on with their day. Another name for grooming space would be the bathroom. The space that is being shown here, there is a window to let sun in and to let moisture out after one is finished, able to access the different spaces, could be used for guest, master bedroom, or every day use.

Large Sleeping Space:Large Sleeping SpaceLarge Sleeping SpaceLarge Sleeping Area

The large sleeping space is know as a bedroom. It is a decent size space with large windows, seating area catty- cornered by the windows, large moving space, and the window view could be used for scenery.

Small Sleeping Space:Small Sleeping SpaceSmall Sleeping SpaceSmall Sleeping Area

The small sleeping space is good enough for a small group of friends to just relax. The space is just right for one person to do what they have to do. The lighting of the room comes in through the two sides of the room. Notice that light coming from the outside will be directly in the eyes of the person when waking up.

Cooking Space:Cooking SpaceCooking SpaceCooking Area

As for this last space, the room size is pretty big. You are able to move around and get the work done. There is a window to receive the receive the light from coming outside but not to much. There will need to be extra light for the inside of the space rather then the outside.