Service Learning Project

Narrative Self-Reflection

Narrative Self-Reflection

Service Learning Project is part of my Community Health Nursing course. I was assigned to Kings County Hospital. The zip code for this area is 11203. This community is consists of people from different race and ethnicity. The majority of the population is from African American background. A large number of population in this neighborhood has diabetes and obesity. I was working on diabetic clinic in Kings County Hospital. As a community Health student nurse, I chose to work on increasing the awareness about diabetes in the community. I worked and consulted with other health care professionals such as dietitians, doctors and nurses to spread awareness on the diabetic prevention, risk factors related to diabetes and how to manage diabetes.

Objective one: Demonstrating individual professionalism through personal behaviors and appearance.

I was able to accomplish this objective by dressing professionally, never being late, always showing up there on my clinical site on time. I maintain client confidentiality by not sharing or discussing client information with others unrelated personnel. I always go to clinical site prepared. I do research on the disease or topic which required more detailed information. I ask question to my professor and other professionals if I don’t understand any topic or which required more clarification. I always complete my assignments on time.

Objective two: Employ analytical reasoning and critical thinking skills when providing care to individuals and families in the community setting.
When interacting with the client, I keep in mind the different culture, beliefs and values of the client. I keep my client comfortable by knowing the values/beliefs of client and keeping a non-judgmental behavior. As a professional, we need to acknowledge and respect client’s cultural and religious values and beliefs. I applied nursing process and priorities the interventions for the client and later on I reassessed/ evaluated the outcome of those applied interventions. I was unable to administer medication as it wasn’t part of my clinical practice. I tried to maintain a safe environment for client, myself and other staff and patients.

Objective three: Effectively communicate with diverse groups and disciplines using a variety of strategies regarding the health needs of individuals and families in the community setting.
I communicated with client the clearly and kept in mind the client needs. I collaborated with my clinical instructor, doctors, nurses and dietician on client’s needs, assessment and interventions. I supplied clients with flyers and handouts on diabetes and its control, diet and insulin action and instructions on insulin pump. One of the client couldn’t speak English soothe doctor and I provided the instruction through the interpreter.

Objective four: Establish environment conducive to learning and use a plan for learners based on evidence-based practice.
I and my clinical group members, we developed teaching plan for the clients on diabetes. In order to reduce interruptions and noise, we used a separate waiting room on diabetic clinic floor. We did oral presentation on diabetes and gave them handouts and flyers with information on diabetic diet, proper foot care, diabetes prevention, healthy diet, insulin instruction and exercise. We encouraged the clients to ask questions. We evaluated the clients by giving them pre and post test on diabetes.

Objective five: Utilize informational technology when managing individual and families in the community.
I ensured client’s information is kept confidential and privacy of information is provided. When using computer to get client information, I made sure to not leave client’s information open.

Objective six: Demonstrate a commitment to professional development.
I used peer review journals to construct interventions. At the end of every clinical day, I evaluate my day, what I could improve and what I learned. I intend to continue my education in order to enhance skills and increase my knowledge. I am planning to get a master’s degree to become a nurse practitioner.

Objective seven: Incorporate professional nursing standards and accountability into practice.
As a professional Registered Nurse, I followed standard of practice of American Nurses Associated when caring for a client. I always follow the agency’s standers of practice when caring for client. On the first day of my clinical, I was provided with instructions, rules and regulations/ policies and procedures handbook of the agency. When working on the clinical site, I keep in mind the mission and vision of the agency.

Objective eight: Collaborate with clients, significant support persons and members of the health care team.
I collaborated with healthcare members (doctor, Nurse and dietitian) to better serve the client, provided therapeutic interventions, gave them informative handout/ flyers related to their disease, identified healthcare services for my clients, encouraged them to make appropriate lifestyle choices and helped my clients to make connections to other community agencies.

Objective nine: Recognize the impact of economic, political, social and demographic forces that affect the delivery of health care services.
I gathered demographic data about the community. Economic, political, social and demographic forces impact the available health care services and other living conditions. This community have higher rate of mortality. Poverty level in this community is higher than the overall poverty rate of the city. Socio-economic status does create health disparities.

Overall, the experience was great. Before taking this Community health nursing course, I had very little knowledge about community health nurse. I didn’t know how important the role of a nurse in the community is. I learned a lot. I was able to work with other health care professionals such as dietitians, doctors and nurses and my group fellow students. I learned how different factors affect a community. I was able to meet most of my clinical objectives. It felt great to be a part of a team who was making positive changes in the community.