What I’m Learning #3 | Saying No

Image from Unsplash

I have always struggled to say no. At work, there are some exceptional times when saying no can be an option. At the beginning of my internship, I offered my internship company my photography services without any charge. I had been stuck at home for a while due to the pandemic and the opportunity to go out to LMCC’s Arts Center in Governors Island, play with my camera and photograph artists sounded exciting. I spent two full days photographing 12 artists, then I went through all the images and following the company’s file naming process, renamed and coded all those files. This turned out to be a lot more work than I originally expected. Nevertheless, I was happy that photographs turned out beautiful and that my work was all over the Instagram pages of the New York City art scene as well as our social media pages and the website.

About three months later, I was asked If I could photograph new members of the artist-in-residence program again. I agreed but due to the delays in my flight from Georgia to the US, I was unable to do it and instead, my company hired a photographer. While sharing images that I was going to use for later social media and news posts, I was copied on the emails between the photographer and my supervisor. One of those emails being the invoice the photographer had sent to my supervisor requesting $600.00 ($300/day). Although, financial gains never being my number one career motivator, I still found this worth noting.

Last week, my supervisor asked me to photograph a new group of artists-in-residence on a day that I’m not scheduled to work. In addition, she does know that now I live in Connecticut and commuting from here all the way to Governors Island for two full days would be very exhausting. I also thought to myself that if the photoshoot is so important, instead of asking me to go out of my way and provide my services for free, she could hire the same photographer as the last time.

This time, I could not say yes and explained to her that my commute from Connecticut to Governors Island and photographing artists for two full days would be very exhausting for me and that was something that I was not willing to do. I think that saying no at times takes courage but it is very important to set the boundaries and protect your own time especially when it’s something that’s not required of you.

Author: Salome Mindiashvili

Hi there! My name is Salome, but people usually call me Sal. I am a young professional with experience in graphic design, advertising, and digital marketing. Currently, I am working on a degree in Communication Design to pursue my lifelong passion in the art of marketing and digital communications. My fascination with visual communications and the digital world started at the age of 13 when I launched Adobe Photoshop for the first time. I was previously interested in digital photography and the fact that I could modify or completely change the reality of my photos with the help of the program greatly excited me. Over time as I learned more about the importance of visuals and good design, I started reading books about marketing, branding, and color theory. At this point, I had already dropped out as an economics major from University in Bulgaria and was living in New York – one of the most inspiring cities in terms of many things, including great designs & history. During my first few years in New York, while I was still trying to settle in the city, I was rigorously working in many types of jobs. At the same time, I was focusing on and planning for my goal, which was a formal education in the field of visual communications. Six years after leaving Bulgaria and five years since moving to New York, here I am, pursuing my lifelong passion! My interest in the field has only gotten stronger with time, and now that I have made it this far, I’m ready to learn as much as possible and enjoy the process of this opportunity as well.