What I’m Learning #2 | Collaborative Project

Along with many other artist residency programs, every year LMCC organizes a SU-CASA program which is a community arts engagement program for older adults. The program supports Manhattan-based artists and organizations engaging participating older adults throughout the borough in the creation of an art project or series of cultural programs.

During the program, experienced teaching artists and community arts organizations are offering hands-on arts classes (this year remotely) for older adults to explore an artistic practice. All classes are free and require no previous experience. SU-CASA online classes focus on dance, music, theater, visual arts and writing.

I was asked to help the program coordinator with whom I had not worked with the visual design of a flyer and a class schedule. There were three of us going back and forth, including the SU-CASA coordinator and another communications team member.  We had several meetings on the direction of the designs after which the coordinator decided to go with the visual design of a class schedule as opposed to a simple flyer.

Since I had other ongoing projects, the SU-CASA program coordinator decided to create a schedule herself and my supervisor asked me to refine it. Since design is usually an ongoing process, I had to discuss several things with her and refine the design multiple times. Below are the schedule designs before and after my revisions. This was another valuable design project as well as an experience in collaborating with others and coming to a conclusion of a project that takes all perspectives into consideration.

Older Schedule Design
Refined Schedule Design

Author: Salome Mindiashvili

Hi there! My name is Salome, but people usually call me Sal. I am a young professional with experience in graphic design, advertising, and digital marketing. Currently, I am working on a degree in Communication Design to pursue my lifelong passion in the art of marketing and digital communications. My fascination with visual communications and the digital world started at the age of 13 when I launched Adobe Photoshop for the first time. I was previously interested in digital photography and the fact that I could modify or completely change the reality of my photos with the help of the program greatly excited me. Over time as I learned more about the importance of visuals and good design, I started reading books about marketing, branding, and color theory. At this point, I had already dropped out as an economics major from University in Bulgaria and was living in New York – one of the most inspiring cities in terms of many things, including great designs & history. During my first few years in New York, while I was still trying to settle in the city, I was rigorously working in many types of jobs. At the same time, I was focusing on and planning for my goal, which was a formal education in the field of visual communications. Six years after leaving Bulgaria and five years since moving to New York, here I am, pursuing my lifelong passion! My interest in the field has only gotten stronger with time, and now that I have made it this far, I’m ready to learn as much as possible and enjoy the process of this opportunity as well.