My Favorite Picture

JinMei Liao

Journal 4

English 1011 (Prof. Scanlan)

09/30/2015

My Favorite Picture

The photo I choice to be my favorite is “Sweat shop, New York City,” taken by Lewis Wickes Hine in 1900-1937, because the photo shows men and women are working on a factory or workshop. Workers in sweatshops may work long hours for low pay, regardless of laws mandating overtime pay or a minimum wage. During 19th century, in the clothing industry, where manual workers are employ at very low wages for long hours and under poor conditions. The workers in the factory that look directly at the camera showed their helplessness. Many workers were not have enough time for rest or sleep, but they were still working every day because they need money to improve their life. While their sweatshop’s life was Infinite Loop, every day they did the same work at the same time, and work at the same place.

I know there are still a lot of sweatshops around the world. With the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire of 1911, mainly young women killed inside the blouse factory after realizing they could not open the locked doors leading to fire escapes. I hope there less sweatshops, because sweatshops were dangerous and low paid, exploitation of their rights; but equally, if there is no more sweatshop, they have no money to maintain life. Therefore, Education is important, because educational achievement of a good future.

2 Responses to My Favorite Picture

1. JinMei I enjoyed the way you explained why did you enjoy the photo you chose as your favorite. The fact that you explained what the people had gone through in the past working with low pay where it’s dangerous bit still doing their best to improve their lives. I gotta feel sad for the people you mentioned that died in a fire accident when they were the innocent ones trying to make a living. I wonder how life would be without education and working in a sweat shop like those poor innocent people in the photo. My prediction would be that life would be worse and too hard without education the fact that there’s also no resting in those type of jobs and with low pay.

2. Jimmy Chen says:

I suppose what stood out to you about the Sweat Shop was about the work ethic? It does sort of show how little space and hard work can really take effect on people, as it was literally “do or die” in this situation. Jobs didn’t come a dime a dozen, and people had to capitalize on that opportunity to survive, and I’m glad that you pointed that out.