New York At Work (My Favorite Photography)

Brian Gonzalez

This photo taken by Lewis Wickes Hine caught my attention, where I see workers working in architecture. This has caught my attention the fact that these workers do not seem so scared at all. This photo was during under construction of the Empire State Building at Manhattan World Trade Center and stood the tallest building in the whole world. Those workers seem so brave working in those kind of conditions where it is so high up with no harness, looking so calmed, and focused, especially while some of them are on some type of elevator that looks like it would collapse. I would describe this type of photo and working conditions as really hazardous. I would not be able to survive working in those type of conditions which I thought maybe I wanted to study architecture but when I realized what could happen in making buildings, I change my mind and would study something that is not too dangerous like my major in Computer Engineering. My question to those workers would be, aren’t they worried that they could slip and accidentally fall? or how do they avoid the fear of working in a really high place that could almost reach the sky  possibly reach outer space? I guess I’m not the type of brave person to work in architecture at all. I could tell that where they working is really high up due to the fact that in the background I see more smaller buildings than the building that’s under construction.

One Response to New York At Work (My Favorite Photography)

1. Jimmy Chen says:

Architecture has an underlying part to it, in the sense of it’s everyday. Design fancy buildings and get paid the big bucks, but based on the design, it can play a part on the building process. Really, Construction is where the danger comes to play, Architecture is really about the design. There’s a sort of lingering feeling when designing a building on how it’s built, and how the workers will have to get up there to properly attach all the rivets and such.