Professor Robert Zagaroli 3rd’s Portfolio Page

“Ladies and Gentlemen, Children Of All Ages,” is what comes to mind when I think of how I’d like to introduce this portfolio page.  It’s the iconic intro given by a ringleader* to announce the start of the show.  I use this page, and the portfolio as a whole, to teach my students how to set up their own portfolios as well, hence the association of starting the show.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, by order of the Fire Commissioner of the City of New York,” is the formal way that the technical staff of a performance space should relay fire and life safety information to the audience.  Having spent a decade working in the back-of-house roles in community theater, it was my job to announce this part, and also signifies the start of the show.

Consequently, my students over the past 2 decades may have noticed that the way I address my classes, or introduce myself to a group is with the phrase, “Ladies and Gentlemen.”

Associate Professor Robert Zagaroli 3rd, November 18, 2016

*A ringleader introduces the various acts in a circus show and guides the audience through the experience, directing their attention to the various areas of the circus arena and helping to link the acts together while equipment is brought into and removed from the circus ring.