ENG 3771 Blog

Blog Response #2 ā€“ Your Achiever Personae

Read pages 55-90 of The Essential Guide for Hiring & Getting Hired, by Lou Adler. What is the ā€œachiever personaeā€? What essential qualities does a professional achiever demonstrate? Do you have an achiever personae? If so, what does it look like? If not, what do you need to do to begin building one?

What is the ā€œAchiever Personaeā€?

An employee who is a top performer is recognized for their outstanding accomplishments and achievements while in their performance role. In other words, is a person who consistently rises to the occasion on the job?

What essential qualities does a professional achiever demonstrate?

They excel at problem solving difficult issues while assisting tough customers than anyone else. Therefore, this person receives promotions faster than the average performer. Furthermore, because an Achiever Personae aims to go beyond performing all tasks, they may take the initiative to take on additional work or be selected to administrate complex projects in addition to their standard job duties. Why? Because there are high achievers. They are motivated to excel. They are on a mission. The bottom line, they devise a plan to accomplish all their achievements because their main goal is upward mobility.

Do you have an achiever personae?

I was recognized for my performance which led me to a promotion from an Administrative Assistant to Assistant Property Manager. This occurred within a 20 month time frame.

Nonetheless, I need to create a strategy to become more recognizable in reaching more achievements/accomplishments at a faster pace. With that stated, I believe Iā€™m an aspiring achiever personae. I definitely have the potential.

If so, what does it look like? If not, what do you need to do to begin building one?

First, schedule a meeting with my boss to find out what is expected in my role. Ask what are the core duties that need to be implemented? What are the key issues that need to be resolved? Then be exceptional at doing it. I learned the hard way, that if a company does not offer training then I have to find ways to circumvent my employer and teach myself. Thatā€™s taking the initiative and being resourceful. There are no excuses.

——————————————————————————————————————————

Blog Response #1 ā€“ A Performance-Based Professional Life

Read pages 17-54 of The Essential Guide for Hiring & Getting Hired, by Lou Adler. In your own words, what is ā€œperformance-based hiringā€? How do you see constructing your professional identity in a performance-based manner as helpful to your career prospects? Be specific by taking several aspects of performance-based hiring and job seeking and translating them to your own career development and job seeking.

In your own words what is Performance-Based Hiring?

From a recruiterā€™s perspective, Performanceā€“Based Hiring is to not depend on your intuition or emotions when hiring a prospective candidate, but to hire quality individuals by focusing on performance, achievements/accomplishments. By using Lou Adlerā€™s model, this is how you can assess top-talent to find candidates with the right level of skills, experience, and motivation to do the job.

How do you see constructing your professional identity in a performance-based manner as helpful to your career prospects?

Very helpful! I can see how I can become more recognized for my performance.Ā  Unfortunately, after all these years, I didnā€™t focus on my performance-based manner. I just worked. Now, in seeking employment that is aligned with my core qualities and attributes, I will develop a performance profile describing my on-the-job success. In the past I didnā€™t focus on this. Now, I will focus on having a performance based manner. I will create a strategy to master my performance at all times. And, on my rĆ©sumĆ© I will not just list my skills and tasks, I will have a performance profile by listing my accomplishments and achievements objectives. In other words, list the accomplishments that Iā€™ve done that made an impact, created change, and/or increased quantitative results-increased the companyā€™s bottom line.

Be specific by taking several aspects of performance-based hiring and job seeking and translating them to your own career development and job seeking.

First, Iā€˜ll ask what level of performance is required for on-the-job success. Once I find the answer, Iā€™ll begin to look at my achievements and compare them to the job posting.

Another, as I learned in ā€œThe Essential Guide for Hiring & Getting Hiredā€ by Lou Adler, is to not focus on Day 1 ā€“ the location of job or the company. Itā€™s only important if itā€™s a career move.