Ethics Entry 1

1a) In any design industry, respect for copyright is the most important thing. This involves a person’s professional knowledge and moral issues.

In AIGA’s “Guild to Design” article, I read an example, Mr. Fairey was sentenced to six months in prison for forging documents. He should not use Associated Press photos to campaign for posters. This is against professional ethics. It is not easy for every designer to create an excellent work. We should respect the design of every designer. We can learn from their ideas and learn from them to make good designs instead of copying their designs. When I was working for the company where I was an intern, I asked my employer if I could use the logo of his agency, and he answered yes to me. This makes me feel at ease.

After I read the “Non Disclosure Agreement” and  “Use of Photography” , I think it is very important to sign the Non Disclosure Agreement. This is beneficial to both the company and employees. After the employee signs the Non Disclosure Agreement, they must be responsible for the confidentiality agreement.

1b) The company where I was intern did not sign the Non Disclosure Agreement for me. But I made a logo for a Chinese wine company, and they signed me the Non Disclosure Agreement. And also after I finished their logo design, the wine company bought my work and copyrighted the logo. I think this is a very wise approach. In order to prevent others from embezzling the logo, the first thing the wine company has to do after confirming the version to copyright the company’s new logo.

In the workplace, Non Disclosure Agreement and copyright rules are very important.

Sources

• Stone, Joanne. Rigsby, Lana.  “A clients guide to design” AIGA,  AIGA Busines_Ethics 47556721-Client-s-guide-to-design-1-1-MB.pdf

• RocketLawyer.  “Non Disclosure Agreement” SCRIBD, https://www.scribd.com/document/91894008/Non-Disclosure-Agreement

• Crawford, Tad. “Use of Photography” AIGA,  AIGA Business_Ethics 47556770-Use-of-photography-1-MB.pdf