Diana Castillo

One thing that I did this summer that surprised me was being able to visit my family in Georgia. It was unknown of when I would be seeing them due to this virus and the fact that I was entering my third trimester of pregnancy made it near impossible due to severe anxiety I have been getting with just simply leaving my home. After successfully going on the trip and being as safe as possible in these conditions, it made me feel good to know that I hadn’t gotten sick or contracted anything. It pays to be extra germaphobic in these times. Overall, I am super thankful for the opportunity and wish I could do it again.

Out of the three stories we have read as a class, my favorite is the first one, The Black Cat by Edger Allen Poe. It is my favorite because of the genre. Ever since I was in high school, I enjoyed reading gothic literature because it has more depth to the overall story.I think the message is a little on the darker side but has a lot of meaning. The past will always come back to haunt you and is near impossible to escape. I think the story did a really good job of captivating the darkness of the human mind. I see this especially as the narrator built up the character. He spoke of the deep struggles of a man in a cell on the verge of death due to horrible acts committed. The narrator showed no emotion and lacked empathy throughout, thus making the story that much more terrifying. As he displayed the life of this man, you could really imagine the destruction he cause with abuse to himself with alcohol. He used it as an excuse for the murder and abuse he caused his family before ending it all tragically.