Weekly Notes:

Week 3: Sept 6, 8

Notes 9/6

Reading and note-taking  practices

How to take notes:

Speed? Fast or slow?

Vocab: look up essential words that you don’t know (3-10)

Notes: Listening: lecture notes; written notes on a chapter; review/repetition. Marking up the text: what you don’t know.

STRATEGY:  structure: For non-fiction essays

When note taking, pay attention to the number of paragraphs. Write down a number for each paragraph and then write a short phrase describing what that paragraph does. Each paragraph has a job to do:

PARAGRAPH TYPES:

1—Introduction or background

2—Thesis paragraph

3—Example or experience or illustration

4—Research

5–Conclusion

Next: 5-part reading tool:–PDF doc in Readings

1c

2s

3p

4n

5t,s,m

The Academic Summary:

1—thesis

2–mores specific thesis

3—s, s, examples

4—conclusion

1—Salvatore Scibona’s “Where I Learned to Read” is about the author when he was a vain ????? high school student…change/evolution/

A complete example:

Howard Gardner’s “Five Minds for the Future” claims that certain ways of thinking will lead to success for each of us. More specifically, Gardner says that the disciplined mind, the ethical mind, the respectful mind, the synthesizing mind, and the creative mind will lead to future success; and he prescribes practicing these skills, rather than merely describing the current skills students commonly learn. He relies upon his own research and experiences of being a professor of psychology at Harvard. In conclusion, Gardners says that education should be a lifelong endeavor and that parents, peers, managers, leaders, and presidents should continuously develop the five skills, not just teachers.

Thursday, 9/8

INTELLECTUAL  HOME:

We will use the term “intellectual home” to help us explore the goal of how to make education more meaningful to you through the concepts of people, place, and process. Our basic definition of intellectual home: what people, places, or processes help you to do your best academic work?

OUR VERY GOOD EXAMPLE OF AN ACADEMIC SUMMARY FOR SCIBONA:

1—Salvatore Scibona’s “Where I Learned to Read” is a literary illustration of the author’s early relationship with school as he transforms into an intelligent reader.

2—More specifically, he was a failed student with a minimum wage job that he disliked, then he was given a brochure about St. John’s College in Santa Fe, New Mexico, where there were no grades, exams, or electives, and it is at this college where reading becomes so important that he says “even my body needed to read.”

3—He utilizes sarcasm, honesty, and a large number of famous scholars and writers to reveal how he evolved as a reader.

4—To conclude, Scibona says that despite beginning as a hopeless reader, his studies at St. Johns helped him to find his refuge in literature.

A complete example:

Howard Gardner’s “Five Minds for the Future” claims that certain ways of thinking will lead to success for each of us. More specifically, Gardner says that the disciplined mind, the ethical mind, the respectful mind, the synthesizing mind, and the creative mind will lead to future success; and he prescribes practicing these skills, rather than merely describing the current skills students commonly learn. He relies upon his own research and experiences of being a professor of psychology at Harvard. In conclusion, Gardner says that education should be a lifelong endeavor and that parents, peers, managers, leaders, and presidents should continuously develop the five skills, not just teachers.

9/13/22

Sherman Alexi:

–process: reading

–people: dad, superman, school aged kids

–place: reservation, class

9/15

Quotation example. The key is to introduce and highlight.

In conclusion, Gardner says that education “is fundamentally about choices and civic responsibility,” and this corresponds to my love for political science and how college students vote (45).

#2: While Santiago’s mom was influential, two others, Mr. Grant and Ms. Brown, had a greater impact on her ability to learn English in the eighth grade.  More specifically, Mr. Grant influenced Santiago by forcing her to go through the 7th grade again. But, he compromised and allowed her to enter the 8th grade, although in a lower level  class.

College Sentence: Thesis Blueprint:

While X, I think Y.

Some notes for 9/22/22

Thesis Blueprint:

While X, I think Y.

Methodology: steps to take in order

Example 1: While I learned a lot from both Rahmani’s personal narrative and from Malcolm X’s memoir excerpt, I can identify more with Rahmani and his turning point in his English class. In order to prove this, I will first reveal my own Intellectual Home and how it’s not perfect, then I will explore both Malcolm X’s and Rahmani’s Intellectual processes, and lastly, I will relate a short narrative of how my process helps me succeed in my computer systems class.

Note: the apples to apples correspondence.

First Paragraph Example:

Walt Whitman

English 1121

Draft: Essay 1

My Synthesizing Life

Reading not only unlocks the world around me, it can also help me to attain my career goals. My desire to become a certified public accountant has led me to select Gardner’s essay as my favorite article about reading and education. In fact, I think my intellectual home is similar to the idea of synthesizing—which is a process. At the same time, I admire Bilal Rahmani’s turning point and Esmeralda Santiago’s love for her teacher, Miss Brown—which is a person. Taking these together then, I have an intellectual home that is mainly a process of synthesizing, but I do this synthesizing by listening to my teachers and engaging in class discussion.  While Gardner seems to think five minds are needed to succeed, I think that one concept, synthesizing, really covers the other four and is the most powerful, the most necessary, as I hope to make a career with a global financial company. In order to prove this, I will first explore Gardner’s intellectual home, then I will describe mine, then I look at my home and my current study space. Lastly I will devise a future intellectual home that I hope is not impossible, one that involves more people like friends and mentors.

Y= process

While I like Samsung for its camera features, the iPhone is a better fit because I like the game apps. [apple to apple]

While I like the iPhone 12, I find that the Ford Mustang is my favorite car.  [apple to orange]

While I liked Liao’s take on learning language, I am more interested in the process of building a better intellectual home that includes both language learning and place. More specifically, my new desk that I am building will form the cornerstone of my improved Intellectual Home.

Example 2: While I like the idea of an Intellectual Home being comprised of places, people, and processes that help me do my best work, I find that, personally, process is the central component of my Intellectual Home. In order to explore this, I will first explore my current home and Intellectual Home, then I will compare my process of annotating what I read to Malcolm X’s dictionary copying, third, I will explore Santiago’s English to English dictionary studies, and finally, I will try to build a better Intellectual Home that includes quiet places and helpful, smart people.

POETRY NOTEPAD

Poetry terms:

1***Explication: A French word that means to unfold. To explore many meanings in a poem without arriving at one meaning. 

• Denotation–the literal or primary meaning of a word, in contrast to the feelings or ideas that the word suggests.
  • Connotation–an idea or feeling that a word invokes in addition to its literal or primary meaning.

Example: Red

2***Denotation: a color, a pigment; it is next to orange and opposite violet on a color wheel.

3***Connotation: anger, blood, something bad, rage, passion, chaos, heart, love, Christmas, valentine’s day, Halloween, stop, warning, fire, banned slash sign, bright or loud personality, siren, tomatoes, hot sauce, flowers, confidence, fall leaves turn red, attraction..

When writing about a word’s connotation, we should include at least three different connotation. 

4***personification: Giving an inanimate object living characteristics. Example: The car’s headlights winked at me. 

–Sound Terms–

5***Alliteration: The same beginning sound/letters of closely placed words. Example: Bright blueberries jumped the broad road.

The phone was in a frenzy.

6***Assonance: the repetition of the sound of a vowel or diphthong in nonrhyming stressed syllables near enough to each other for the echo to be discernible.

Example: talking and walking, hours on end = “AW” sound is assonance. Almost perfect: “ou” and “o” in hours and on. And the “i” sound at the end of talking and walking.  

Consonance example: “lk” in both talking and walking, and the “ng” sound also in talking and walking. 

7–Consonance: The repetition of similar consonant sounds inside or at the end of  words == lumpy and bumpy. “Mp” sound is consonance.

8–Metaphor: a comparison of unlike things.

9–tenor and 10–vehicle, the components of a metaphor, with the tenor referring to the concept, object, or person meant, and the vehicle being the image that carries the weight of the comparison

Example: She is an angel

Tenor: woman

Vehicle: angel

Example: My brother is such a wet blanket

Tenor: person who is a downer

Vehicle: wet blanket

Example: My love is a red, red rose.

T: Love

V: Rose

11–Simile: a comparison of unlike things using “like” or “as.”

Example: Is it as cold as Antarctica?

What was this sensation, this feeling? It was a cold, shriveled purple rose, and this rose was, of course, my love for my queen, who had killed my entire family in the revolution of 1066.