7. How to end a tutoring session

Time flies! It’s been an hour (or two) and you, the Tutor, have another commitment or the Student has to leave. It is important to affirm that the Student has worked hard, and that you welcome their coming back to seek help.

Closing comments

Tutor: Okay, you made real progress this session. Everything seems good. Now it’s time to end the session. I hope this session helped you and hope you will keep practicing the problems. Try to use this [textbook/suggested resources] book that will really help you. Be sure to practice 20 minutes a day so you can keep track of the work in this course.  Do not forget to give me another chance to help you. It was a pleasure working with you. Take care and hope to see you again soon.

Other statements that are useful:

• If in the middle of a problem, say: “I have done half the problem, and you can continue the rest.” AND “come back next time”
  • Hope that helped you…
  • I hope to see you again next week for another session
  • I am always here to help if you experience further problems
  • Thanks for working so hard this session
  • Have a good rest of the week!

Tutors can ask students what they think they have gained from the session. And tutors can mention school activities that you are aware of and plan on attending.

• You can bring up school activities (like a club for majors of the Student’s course, or based on interests that the Student shared with you during the “Small Talk”).
  • Mention that you’ll be there (if you plan to attend) so they can see a familiar face, just in case they are shy of being active in clubs or haven’t been involved in school activities.