4.  How to connect to the concept behind the problem

The Student will usually come to tutoring with a problem yet with questioning it is clear to the Tutor that the Student does not understand the concept or idea behind the problem. Solving one problem only answers that one problem. What if there is a problem on a test that uses the same concept but has different numbers/variables/ or another way of phrasing the same idea? Supporting the Student to learn the “big idea” behind the problem means helping the Student connect the problem to the concept.

Example: Computer Science

Student: Okay, I know even numbers are those which are divisible by 2

Tutor: So there is math involved…

Student: Since I need to print the iteration

Tutor: Iteration, good; so the rule is:

Student: [looking at class notes] Whenever you have to iterate you have to use Loop…OK, right, so of Even numbers from 1 to 35, I will use a for loop to traverse between that range and inside the for loop I will check if the iteration number is divisible by 2 using modulo operator (//) and if this is the case I will print the iterated number using an if statement

Tutor: What is an If Statement?

Student: If/Else Statement is to be used every time there is a decision to be made…

Tutor: Right, so what is the decision you made here?

Student: Well, here, I had to decide if the number is even or not.

Tutor: Great! Let’s go back and write down the two rules you just used. Also, you used language that has special meaning for this method of solving problems. What were the special words you used?

Student: Oh, this is hard to remember…wait, I said a for loop to traverse between that range and then, oh, iteration number

Tutor: You also used modelo operator and that is represented by a symbol. You see, you are using the language of computer science!

Example: Biology

Student: First, what is a prokaryotic cell and a eukaryotic cell?

Tutor: What do you know about these two types of cells?

Student:  Prokaryotic cells are predominantly single-celled organisms of the domain bacteria and archaea. Eukaryotic cells are found in animals, plants, protists, and fungi.

Tutor: What are the differences? Wait, do you know why these two cells have these names?

Student: No…

Tutor: It often helps to look at the actual words and that may give you some ideas. For example,  prokaryotic cells, also known as prokaryotes come from two Greek words: pro meaning “before” and karyon meaning “nucleus”

Student: Before nucleus? Oh, so they don’t have a true nucleus?

Tutor: What else would that imply? Let’s look at our drawing

Student: The nucleus is not surrounded by a membrane?

Tutor: Right, and what would Eukaryotic cells be, based on the Greek words? These types of cells are also known as eukaryotes

Student: Well, the karyon meaning “nucleus” is there also. What is eu?

Tutor: Its meaning is“true” – what would be a true nucleus?

Student: The nucleus that is surrounded by a membrane….

Tutor: Exactly! Tell me, based on what we just defined and the drawings we did, what are the functions of each type of cell?

Student: Eukaryotic cells can carry out complex metabolic reactions that prokaryotic cells cannot?

Tutor: You’ve got it!

Example: Physics, Chemistry

Student: I’ve got this formula but I don’t know what to do with this problem

Tutor: What is the formula?

Student:  PV= nRT

Tutor: Tell me what each symbol means

Student: P is pressure, V is volume, T is temperature, and R…I don’t know

Tutor: OK, what is the Ideal Gas Law?

Student: Well, that formula…

Tutor: What is the R?

Student: Is that the “ideal gas constant”?

Tutor: Yes…What is the value of R and what are the units?

Student: Oh, that 8.314 J/mol·K,

Tutor: What does “n” represent?

Student: I don’t know…Wait, that’s the number of moles

Tutor: So, how does gas work as matter when there is a change in pressure or temperature? Let’s draw a diagram …

Remember that supporting the Student’s effort can be accomplished in many ways. It is important to appreciate the student’s response – whether it is the answer, an explanation, or an attempt. Helping the Student to speak about the problem or question allows the Tutor many options on how best to respond to continue the conversation. The Tutor can respond with positive comments, like Okay, Good, Very close, Try to add some more. This is how the Student will be encouraged to answer the next question and feel excited.