Ethics in Design, 1A

Throughout my internship experience at Brooklyn College, I have diligently adhered to my responsibilities as a designer and followed all ethical guidelines as outlined in the Graphic Design Ethics. During each new project, particularly when creating logos such as the REACHE logo, I ensured that I used appropriate images and designs to produce work that the organization was happy with. The resources provided by Brooklyn College, such as their logo and branding colors, were utilized along with my personal touches to produce works that aligned with the institution’s message.

Graphic Design Ethics emphasize the responsibility of a designer to respect the client’s confidentiality and to use the client’s resources appropriately. In some of my first assignments, I sent versions of my logo designs to my team leader for feedback, where the use of the logo or branding colors was crucial. After receiving feedback, I made the necessary changes to ensure that my work aligned with the college’s vision and branding guidelines. I have always kept the interests of Brooklyn College in mind and will continue to do so for every project I undertake for them.

To prevent any legal issues, I adhered to the ethical guidelines by sourcing all images from royalty-free databases such as Pexels. Websites like these contain royalty-free images that can be used in professional projects without credit. For example, when designing the REACHE logo, I made sure to use only royalty-free images and followed all copyright laws. Any alterations made to these images, such as clipping or color correction, were minimal and ethically sound. Following these ethical guidelines ensured that all my work was legally compliant and professionally responsible.

Citation(s)

• “Guide to Copyright” AIGA. (2001). PDF. New York City; Richard GrefĂ©, AIGA.
  • “A Client’s Guide to Design: How to Get the Most Out of the Process” AIGA. (2001). PDF. New York City; Richard GrefĂ©, AIGA. 
  • “Use of Photography” AIGA. (2001). PDF. New York City; Richard GrefĂ©, AIGA. 
  • “Summary.” Ethics of Design, WordPress, 29 June 2024, https://ethicsofdesign.wordpress.com/summary/.