Research Projects and Community Service/Outreach Activities

Greater New York Dental Meeting – Poster Board Presentation :

“Green Tea and Its Effects on Oral Health”

For the 95th annual Greater New York Dental Meeting, I presented a poster board about green tea and its effects on oral health. I decided to choose this topic because there are a lot of people who drink green tea without knowing the benefits it has on the teeth and gingiva. Also, green tea and matcha green tea is very trendy in today’s market as more green tea products are being offered in bakeries, cafes, restaurants and even dental products.

Please see attached for my poster board:

Green Tea

Pharmacology Natural Product Assignment

I was assigned to research the health effects of Valerian and how this natural supplement is comparable to drugs such as Xanax and other types of sedatives/sleeping aids. As a dental health professional I will come across patients who will be taking a multitude of prescribed, over the counter and herbal/natural supplements. Please see attached for my research on Valerian and its health properties.

Natural Product Assignment Pharm – Nicky Joe Ly

Colgate Smiles 

I participated in the Colgate Smiles program during the 95th annual Greater New York Dental Meeting to teach elementary school aged children about nutrition and how it affects their oral health. There were lots of hands on activities such as sticker boards and build your own meal plates with plastic food that depicts healthy and unhealthy choices.