Learning Self Analysis

I entered the baccalaureate program, immediately after graduating with my Associates degree. I wanted to start the program while the knowledge from the Associate program was still fresh in my mind. I was also curious to know what would be different between the two programs. In the bachelors program I began to learn the rationale behind the interventions I would perform as a nurse. It took me from being a task oriented nurse to a critical thinking nurse.

In the Associates program we learned about ethics, patient education and communication. In the bachelors program we have learned about these topics more in depth. We also focused alot more on the business  managerial and community aspects of nursing. The bachelors program has molded me into a more effective nurse. I see a big improvement in the way I think as a nurse, interact with my co workers, advocate, and critically think.

In the Bachelors program I received a better understanding on why prevention and patient education is so important. Going into the community setting and seeing what it is like beyond the walls of an institution has helped me receive a better perspective. This program has helped me to grow and have pride in being a nurse. I know my potential and importance; and I can see the difference I make in patients lives. As a working nurse I realize that my effectiveness does not only come from the skills I receive at bedside but from my ability to time manage, critically think and communicate which are all skills I learn from the education I received in New York City College of Technology Baccalaureate program.