Academic Examples

Elderly Care

Demographically, the nature of society is changing and the population of older people is dramatically increasing. The U.S. Census Bureau states that the population of people greater than 65 is projected to double by the year 2030 and to the same time increase from 12 to 20 percent of the population. This same population is considered to be a vulnerable group of people by society.

The elderly are considered to be vulnerable for the following reasons they are frail, confused and unable either to stand up for themselves or keep track of their affairs. At any given time anyone can become can become vulnerable.  

Focus on the elderly is needed because the demographic change will pose challenges to meet their growing needs physically, mentally and financially. Additional service will also be needed to address and treat chronic and disabling conditions. Medicare and social security is not able to support this growth and untreated illnesses will cause the elderly to lose their independence and prevent them from remaining in their homes. The elderly are stereotype as requiring special care because of poor health, poor finances and lack of social support. Therefore intervention is needed to alleviate the risks faced by the older people. For example, for those living alone, a support group aimed at encouraging the isolated elders to join social program is necessary. This enables the elderly consumers to be engaged in meaningful activities that will promote a healthy psychological growth. Another, intervention is family and close friends keeping close contact with the elderly consumers. In order to stress the importance of staying in constant contact human service workers should advocate with families, friends and the general public about elder care through education.

Public education and awareness are important elements in preventing abuse and neglect with the elderly. The aim of such efforts is to inform the public about the various types of neglect, and where help can be obtained. Help can be obtained through a human service worker.

A human service worker with the elderly has to have some vital skills. The human service worker needs to study gerontology as he or she has to have the basic information about the aging process and experiences of the older adult. A worker in this area needs to recognize that aging is an individual process and that it is a normal progressive change and everyone ages at a different pace. The worker needs to know the difference between normal and abnormal aging because many problems in aging are caused by illness or disease. Also workers need to take in consideration how income, educational background and customs attribute to the overall health of the older individual.

As a future human service worker, working with the elderly, the skill I lack having is the basic information about the aging process. I, plan on taking the appropriate classes in gerontology in order to gain the necessary knowledge required in this field. Having gained the knowledge I require, I will also need to take care of myself.

Taking care of myself will prevent me from becoming overwhelmed by the demand of work. This entails getting the proper nutrition, getting adequate rest and maintaining good health. This includes using 15 minutes during lunch break to distress through meditating or reading a book. Finally, I will maintain a positive attitude with consumers and colleagues.