From our first assigned reading I have gained knowledge about different system in the building that need to be designed before construction of the building. These systems work together as a whole so the building can function properly. Structural system is required for the building so it can stand still, while enclosure system is needed to protect the interior from the outside weather such as wind and rain. Enclosure elements consist of exterior wall, doors which provide access, windows which provide light and air. Mechanical systems consist of elements such as plumbing system which provide water for sanitation and consumption; electrical system which provides light and electricity; HVAC system which provide environmental comfort for the interior; etc. Reading #1 also gave me an understanding of different materials used in building construction and their advantages and weak points. While steel is great in both tension and compression, it loses it properties in high temperatures, and it can corrode so it must be protected against it. On the other hand, wood can decay so it needs to be well seasoned. Some of the construction materials are natural such as stone and wood while others are fabricated such as brick and steel. In my opinion it is very important to learn about each of the building construction materials as much as we can, so we know which is the best material, or which combination of materials is best to use for our designs.