Homework #1

The machine I picked was The Dallas Stars’ lighting star. The lighting star is used for the entrance of the Dallas Stars, a hockey team in Dallas, Texas. It’s a huge star that is placed over the entrance of where the hockey players enter from the locker room to the rink. There are lights inside the piece that blink or glow when the players enter the ice. It was used greatly during the Stanley Cup playoffs when the Stars had their home games and there’s a video (Link will be on the bottom) of how it’s lowered and lights up. I think it’s very cool because of the many lights inside, while it does show a lot of things like the rigging system, LED and moving lights inside the actual star and it looks like the Star is made of trusses. I watch the Dallas Stars and their playoff intro is very good and popular, of course I’ve watched it and I loved it. The simple machines that were used in this were Pullys. The Pullys were used to lower and raise the Star up and down.

One Response to Homework #1

1. This is a pretty cool effect, but I’m having a hard time seeing in the video or picture any indication of the pulleys you mentioned. Do you know for sure they use pulleys and cables to lower it with a winch? It looked like it might also use chain hoists in one shot from the video.