Self Reflection

This semester my clinical was focused on working with seniors at the Stein Senior Center located at Gramercy Park. On our clinical days we measured and monitored the older adults’ blood pressure, served them lunch, socialized, hosted game activities and performed light workout routines. These activities and our services are important to this population because they benefit from mental and physical stimulation. Even though Gramercy is considered a wealthy area, these seniors are struggling financially. Lunch is offered at a discounted price at the center, the cafeteria is always full for lunch time. The Senior Stein Center provides social, and emotional support. This assignment  is a self reflection of my experience and performance at the Senior Stein Center.

Objective 1: Demonstrates individual professionalism through personal behaviors and appearance.

As a registered nurse who is taking nursing classes, clinicals and working full time in a dialysis center I was able to maintain client confidentiality throughout the semester. I took the responsibility to learn information that wasn’t always understood or apparent right away.  Understanding why the elderly visit the Senior Stein Center and what services they receive was important in continuing the semester. I prepared for my nursing classes and clinicals in advance as needed. I have completed most of my assignments in a timely manner, when I had questions or concerns I was able to reach out to my professors. I participated in discussions, conferences and lectures as needed. I attended most of my clinicals on time, and always dressed appropriately.

Objective 2: Employ analytical reasoning and critical thinking skills providing care to individuals and families in the community setting.

In my clinicals I was able to collect required client information through interview and by gathering subjective and objective information directly from the client. I was able to assess the impact culture, religion and spirituality has on a clients current health status. Significant data, such as blood pressure, vital signs and history of medications was collected. Clients with high blood pressure were recognized and monitored. Paramedics were called when clients had BP 160/ 100 and above. A physical assessment was completed when needed. Patient care was prioritized based on data collected on the patient. Nursing interventions were set using prioritization. Nursing interventions implemented were safe and according to each client individually. Medications and treatments were administered as needed and outcomes of nursing care were evaluated for each patient. While working in my community I was able to maintain patient safety and modify client care as indicated by evaluation of client outcomes.

Objective 3: Effectively communicate with diverse groups and disciplines using a variety of strategies regarding the health needs of individuals and families in the community setting.

I was able to utilize therapeutic communication with all patients and their families, through self awareness I was able to communicate with diverse cultures effectively. I believe that I was able to communicate with my instructor and peers effectively, working successfully together in groups for projects and community work. I was able to alter my communication methods based on each clients developmental needs. Patients’ assessments were documented accordingly. Blood pressures of several patients were screened and documented.

Objective 4: Establish environment conducive to learning and use a plan for learners based on evidence-based practice. 

In my clinicals I was able to develop a teaching plan for clients as needed. While providing teaching I used attention grabbing techniques to be certain that my clients were able to understand what was being taught. Along with collaboration with my partner I was able to provide teaching on healthy nutritional living by using an interactive family feud style game. The seniors were all engaged and participated in answering nutrition related questions. We utilized visual material to provide learning and distributed hand outs with pre and post tests of the material we presented.

Objective 5: Utilize informational technology when managing individual and families in the community.

Principles of nursing informatics were utilized through the use of a power point presentation to provide an effective learning technique and environment. Strict patient confidentiality was maintained.

Objective 6: Demonstrate a commitment to professional development.

Client appropriate literature was used to plan for presentations and patient/client teaching. I was able to evaluate my work and where I needed improvement. I’m committed to adjusting to the challenges of independent practice in community health nursing. I am able to self evaluate myself and note where I need more improvement.

Objective 7: Incorporate professional nursing standards and accountability into practice. 

The ANA standards were always utilized in clinical practice and compliance with agency standards was followed and maintained. The mission of the Senior Stein Center is to cultivate friendly relations among the members of the Stein Senior Center and the general public; to provide services with an emphasis on group growth; to share the strengths, and wisdom of senior citizens; and referral services, and to safeguard the health and wellness of senior citizens.

Objective 8: Collaborate with clients, significant support persons and members of the healthcare team.

I was able to collaborate with my clinical team to address our clients problems and needs. Client care based on client needs was coordinated as needed. Client health care resources were identified and evaluated. Provided teaching and guidance to clients to make the right lifestyle health related choices.

Objective 9: Recognize the impact of economic, social and demographic forces that affect the delivery of health care services.

Gaps in the health care system were recognized that were posed as challenging to some clients. I was able to begin to identify how some complex problems can be solved in the clinical area along with assistance from my clinical team. Most importantly I was able to advocate for my clients and their needs.

Overall, this clinical was an amazing experience where I provided teaching and help to the seniors and in return they filled me with knowledge and a sense of fulfillment. It was an honor to be able to service these individuals in need. This experience has taught me a lot, specifically the importance of social interaction and financial assistance that seniors of Gramercy require.