Introduce yourself here

Feel free to talk about yourself in a way that you want to introduce and interact with others. This is our environment, our online course space where we will find important information and will share valuable ideas. We will share our successes and fears with each other and help each other grow. The sense of belonging doesn’t come that easily and without effort. Share your stories, challenges, and great experiences that are inspirational,  and motivate others to work in the way you do. Please consider these points:

1- What is your background (feel free to say as much as you want about yourself. Ex. nationality, culture, languages, habits, etc).

2-What are some of your major professional goals (priorities). Where do you see yourself working, performing…

3- What are your connections, experiences, and/or challenges in mathematics.

4- How is this course connected to your life and specific professional goals (major).

5- What type  of teaching helps you learn better;

a- Lecturing

b- Interactive activities such as working in groups, think-peer-share, problem-solving and sharing, etc

c-Discussion board and blogging

d-Research projects,

e- Other, please state it here

28 thoughts on “Introduce yourself here”

1. Hello, everyone. My name is Radita. I was born in Guyana, but I moved to the US in 2006. I currently reside in Queens. I’m currently a sophomore at CityTech. I don’t have many hobbies, but currently I’m trying to catch up on the shows I’m watching on Netflix. I recently changed my major to ophthalmic dispensing; I recently got a job working in the field. I’ve only been there for three weeks, but I’ve learned so much in that amount of time. My co-workers were very helpful and patient with me. I work as a sales associate but we’re referred to as opticians. I get the chance to use different programs and helping the customers/patients get a better understanding of their prescription and the type of lens that they choose. When I first started working there, I thought I would never be able to grasp the concept of it all. But I’ve learned how to do various things and hopefully, those can help me in my upcoming classes and eventually a step towards becoming licensed. I’ve always struggled in math since elementary school, it’s not my best subject. I’ve tried many times to grasp the concept, but it never seems to stick. My high school teacher helped me and at one point I thought I had it but I was wrong. The type of teaching that helps me to learn and gain a better understanding is mostly hands-on learning. For example, I would look at the textbook and research to help me find better ways of understanding something. This course is connected to my specific major/my job because we use numbers all the time and if its inaccurate, we can mess up a patient’s prescription. Overall, I look forward to seeing how I do in this class.
    Good luck to everyone this semester !

2. Hello everyone, my name is Samantha. I am Haitian-American. My favorite foods are pasta, cheese, and bread. My favorite fruits are coconut, pineapple, and avocado. I enjoy helping others, watching Youtube/Netflix, listening to music, sleeping, working out, etc. In the future, I see myself hopefully working in a healthcare environment as a dermatology nurse. Your skin is the largest external organ and I would like to assist people to live higher-quality lives as it affects appearance and confidence. I want to be financially and mentally stable with a job that will support my current family, future family, and myself. As for academics, I am more of an English and Science type of student. I have an average/neutral feeling towards Math. Practice makes perfect for me. I understand and improve in math when I am in a class setting. At home and online, it seems like I am learning by myself. Interactive activities such as group work/share and discussions help me gain understanding. In the nursing major, mathematics helps expand critical thinking and problem-solving expertise. Nurses also need math for medication administration. I am curious to see how I will perform in this class and I hope for the best. As long as I have patience and clarification, I should be fine. Thank you for reading, and I wish success to everyone =).

1. I’m glad I learned some important things about you. I know that nurses need a lot of mathematical understanding. We will together shift from neutral (0) to a very positive score in terms of liking math.
      Good luck!

3. Hello everyone! My name is Anna and I am attending City Tech to get my second Bachelors Degree in Computer Systems. My first Bachelor’s was in General Psychology at Baruch. I am of Polish/Italian descent and can speak some Italian too! In my free time, I enjoy reading and playing volleyball. In terms of my professional goals, I want to combine both my Psychology and (soon to be) Computer Systems degrees to work in the wellness tech industry. I see myself working in a company that not only wants to provide mental health resources but is focused on advocating for its necessity all over the world. In terms of mathematics overall, it definitely is my hardest subject. I can become easily confused conceptually with math and so I definitely need to take extra time to study and absorb the material. I think math is connected to my major in terms of how to problem solve. Coding has many ways to solve problems and at the same time, I would argue that in some cases math does as well. Additionally, I think the mentality that the problem does eventually get solved can be said for both coding and math! For my learning style, I definitely prefer lecturing but also live problem solving happening as well. I like to also observe patterns that occur when solving problems so doing that together with the class helps me out immensely.

1. It seems that you want to create a full package of the cognitive challenges to read people’s minds and help them understand the world better. And yes, before you do that you have a long journey to challenge yourself. I hope this approach helps you understand that the goal here is making connections to the real world. So, I am glad you are doing this. Good luck!

4. Hi, my name is Karen Guzman. I am Mexican American and I speak English and Spanish. On my free time I like to listen to music while sketching or crocheting I also like to play video games and bake. A professional goal of mine is to work for a big tech company like Apple or Microsoft so far I haven’t really done anything big to reach my goal, but during the summer I was involved in a one week program where I was learning to code I haven’t exposed myself to other opportunities because I have no knowledge of were to search. Math has always been my weakest subject, I struggled the most in middle school because I was careless about my education and I didn’t like asking for help. I prefer visual learning because it helps me understand better and makes the task much more easier for me, like if the teacher shows me an example of how to solve a problem similar before starting any work I will feel more confident.

1. I like the way how you analyze how you have been working, caring, etc about math. I say this because consistency and hard work are very important in mathematics. Some people forget that and expect that at the end have good results. We need to understand that teaching and learning is the two-sided approach. Both of them have to work well. You may have a great teacher and fail the exam if you don’t study…

5. Good day, everyone! My name is Krzysztof (Kristoff). I am a Polish-American and my favorite foods are chicken and pizza and pierogi. I like being physically active, such as via sports and exercise. My major is Construction Technology Management, and I’m a freshman. I don’t enjoy planning ahead or looking into the future because everything is possible and may change in the blink of an eye, but I might be working alongside my father. I like math when professors explain a lot and perform practice math problems while explaining carefully step by step. I despised it when professors spoke quickly and hardly showed the work and math projects; most of the time, they were always irritating to accomplish, such as creating a Facebook page for a triangle.This is related to my major because it calules numbers and it uses measurements.Can’t wait to look beyond this class.

6. Good Evening everyone, my name is Jasmin! I am Mexican-American. I love watching and catching up on new shows in Netflix especially when it’s about baking or interior design. I love Mexican food with a passion and shrimp pasta. I’m a freshman who is majoring in Architecture. My number one goal is accomplishing and receiving a Bachelor’s in Architecture. I see myself working in an Architecture firm and/or Interior Design. As in the terms of mathematics, it’s my hardest subject since I’m more of an English student. The major I’m going for and interested in consists of math meaning I have to improve in my mathematic skills no matter what. The learning style I prefer is lecturing and having discussions on the ways problems were solved. Overall, I hope I improve in math and wish everyone good luck!!

7. My name is Rissat Uddin, and I am a freshman in City Tech. I am Bengali and I was born in America in 2003. My parents are both from Bangladesh. I am currently majoring in Architecture and I want to pursue in Architecture in hopes to having my own contracting company. Math was never my favorite subject, but it was a subject I was able to understand fully. I am looking forward to this class.

8. Hi everyone! My name is Nyla. I am a freshman and I’m African-American. I was born and raised in Brooklyn. In my spare time, I love to watch anime, play video games, read and write stories. A professional goal of mine is to become a professional videographer/director/editor and a graphic design artist, simply because I’m a very creative person and I’m constantly coming up with different projects and/or ideas. When it comes to mathematics it is my hardest subject. I find myself struggling even after I study sometimes depending on the topic. I feel like the lectures can help along with an in-depth step-by-step explanation so I can understand the topics fully. I wish for a good learning experience for myself and everyone else as well! <3

9. Good Evening everyone, my name is Ismael! I am Mexican and I am 18 years old, this is my first semester at city tech. I am majoring in dental hygiene. I am interested in this program because I used to have braces and it caught my attention about a career in dentistry. I like the atmosphere of the dental field and enjoy learning about the materials used to treat the patients teeth. Things you should know about me is i am very discipline, passionate and focused person who is committed to learn new things to succeed in school and I’m also very open and friendly. My challenges that I had in math is it difficult for me to do is learn the formulas and solve questions. This course connects to my major by the type of topics such as converting numbers, calculating. In addition, it also connects to my life because it gives me a way to understand patterns, quantify relationships, and predict the future. I believe working in groups helps me understand better because when we plan activities, it gives me the opportunity to work and collaborate with my classmates to learn and grow from each other. Lastly, I can’t wait to get along with everybody and adapt to the work in class.

1. You are pointing out so many good things here. We will definitely make the best out of this course together. You will get a chance to share and work with each other.

10. Hello everyone, My name is Abdulrab Aldaeri. I was born and raised in New York. I live with my parents, 3 brothers,1 sister, and my grandma. I am 18 years young and I love to play soccer and volleyball on my free time with friends and family. I am majoring in Computer Informational Systems (CIS). This is my first year of college, so yes I am a freshman. I am hoping to work with my cousin and make my own website and to start my own business. This course helps me a lot for my major because you need a lot of mathematics to be able to develop and fix software. I love to work in pairs or groups because you can learn more about a person and get to know their strengths and weakness so you could help them build up and encourage them to do better. Other than that I’m looking forward for a good experience at college since it’s my first year, and I hope you do too. Thank you everyone and take care.

11. Hello everyone! My name is Dayanellys Vega and I am Dominican and Puerto Rican, but I was born and raised here in NYC. I am 21 years old and I speak, read and write in two languages; English and Spanish. I am currently majoring in Nursing, with my end goal being a CRNA (Nurse Anesthesiologist.) This particular field of study does require a lot of math, due to my need to compute numerous safe dosages of drugs to be administered for surgery. If I miscalculate the dosage, the consequences could be lethal. Not only in surgery will I need to administer drugs, I would also need to do so for other patients outside of the OR. Math in general, isn’t my weakest subject, but it also isn’t my strongest subject. I actually enjoy math when I am finally capable of understanding the rules and the numerous ways of computing equations. The teaching style I prefer best would have to be examples of problems being explained step-by-step. I am not necessarily a slow learner, but I do have an issue when professors have the tendency to speed through their class and not explain the class in layman’s terms.

1. I am glad to see that you know well the connection between mathematics and your future rewarding profession. It is great that you’re not weak in this subject. I wanted to assure you that I am an experienced math faculty, and I know the key concepts in this subject very well. So, I will clarify all of them. Of course that it is up to all of you to maintain well the study and practice. Please let me know when you have any questions.

12. Hello everyone! My name is Dayanellys Vega and I am Dominican and Puerto Rican, but I was born and raised here in NYC. I am 21 years old and I speak, read and write in two languages; English and Spanish. I am currently majoring in Nursing, with my end goal being a CRNA (Nurse Anesthesiologist.) This particular field of study does require a lot of math, due to my need to compute numerous safe dosages of drugs to be administered for surgery. If I miscalculate the dosage, the consequences could be lethal. Not only in surgery will I need to administer drugs, I would also need to do so for other patients outside of the OR. Math in general, isn’t my weakest subject, but it also isn’t my strongest subject. I actually enjoy math when I am finally capable of understanding the rules and the numerous ways of computing equations. The teaching style I prefer best would have to be examples of problems being explained step-by-step. I am not necessarily a slow learner, but I do have an issue when professors have the tendency to speed through their class and not explain the class in layman’s terms.

13. Hello everyone! My name is Dayanellys Vega and I am Dominican and Puerto Rican, but I was born and raised here in NYC. I am 21 years old and I speak, read and write in two languages; English and Spanish. I am currently majoring in Nursing, with my end goal being a CRNA (Nurse Anesthesiologist.) This particular field of study does require a lot of math, due to my need to compute numerous safe dosages of drugs to be administered for surgery. If I miscalculate the dosage, the consequences could be lethal. Not only in surgery will I need to administer drugs, I would also need to do so for other patients outside of the OR. Math in general, isn’t my weakest subject, but it also isn’t my strongest subject. I actually enjoy math when I am finally capable of understanding the rules and the numerous ways of computing equations. The teaching style I prefer best would have to be examples of problems being explained step-by-step. I am not necessarily a slow learner, but I do have an issue when professors have the tendency to speed through their class and not explain the class in layman’s terms.

14. Hi everyone, My name is Damion Vaughan and as of writing this I am 18 years old. I’m currently a freshman who majors in Nursing and wants to find a job in the medical field. I was born in Massachusetts but raised all my life in Charlotte, North Carolina. Only 6 years recently I’ve moved to Brooklyn, NYC as my mom missed her hometown and thus me moving with her. I was also born with a genetic disease called Sickle Cell Beta Thalassemia which really increased my love for the field of medical science. My family has a lot of medical workers, including my mom, and as a result further increased my resolve to be a doctor. I love to play games of all types(I like what I like), and by my profile picture I am in love with anime. Math and Science are my favorite subjects and I love to have lectures about moral and social issues. I am going to do my best for all my classes and push forward with a strong heart.

15. Hey everyone! My name is Brianna. I was born and raised in Brooklyn,NY but my family is from Jamaica & Grenada. I’m a freshman at city tech. My future goals are to become a pediatric or labor and delivery nurse and hopefully stem off from that and become a pediatrician. Math is definitely not my best subject lol, I’ve always struggled with math since around middle school. I hope to actually get better at math and gain some kind of enjoyment while learning content. I’m aware that I’ll need math for my future career, especially when it comes to measurements. When it comes to math, I would say lecturing and interactive activities helps me learn better because with lecturing I go over my notes often and try to study and with interactive activities, if I struggle to understand anything my classmates can assist me and help me if necessary.