A philosophy is a theory, thought, or attitude held by a person, group of people, or organization that is based on a guiding principle of behavior for positive outcomes. Many things go into a philosophy, like shared values, quality standards, language & symbols, traits & behaviors, and positive outcome goals. What I see true about nursing is in what Watson describes nursing is in her theory and four major concepts. She says, “Nursing is concerned with promoting health, preventing illness, caring for the sick, and restoring health.”  I also agree with Watson when she defines nursing as, “a human science of persons and human health-illness experiences that are mediated by professional, personal, scientific, esthetic, and ethical human transactions.” The ethical values that I hold which are most pertinent to nursing are to practice with compassion and respect towards every individual, unrestricted by considerations of social or economic status, personal attributes, or nature of health problems. To promote advocacy for and striving to protect the health, safety, and rights of the patient. Having the obligation to provide optimum patient care. Maintaining competence, and continuing personal and professional growth. Maintaining and improving healthcare environments and conditions of employment. Lastly, collaborating with other health professionals and the public in promoting community, national, and international efforts to meet health needs. The theory that I consider or use is Jean Watson’s Caring theory. This is especially considered and used by me due to the fact that I feel as if it is very good to base my nursing practice off of. It is also the theory that I have grown to learn deeply about from the very first day of nursing school at New York City Tech’s nursing department. It has been with me throughout my nursing education, and I have found that it is a helpful framework to live by.

My beliefs and values are honesty, integrity, respect, compassion, warmth, balance, cultural sensitivity, and diversity. It is most important to is provide for the health needs of the community, exhibit a passion for excellence, engaging in open and supportive communication, maintaining a positive attitude, possessing a commitment to teamwork, exceeding patient’s expectations, paying close attention to detail, providing safety, comfort, and privacy.

The role that nursing plays in patient’s care is providing a positive and motivating interaction with the patient that may change the view on their illness and journey to wellness. Forming a therapeutic relationship is focused when providing nursing care. Not limiting to just practical skills but also involving individualized emotional support. Having the ability to care and be compassionate during the healing process. The role of nursing allows for the patient to develop trust and reliability during their most vulnerable state.

In patient centered care, patients become active in their own care and receive services designed to focus on their individual needs and preference, in addition to the advice and counsel from health professionals. Patient-centered care relies upon effective communication, empathy, and a feeling of partnership between doctor or other health care professionals, and patient to improve patient care outcomes and satisfaction, to lessen patient symptoms, and to reduce unnecessary costs.  Through patient centered care, doctors and other health care professionals will be able to help their patients become more compliant with treatment and active in the management of their diseases.  Patients will also feel more satisfied with the care that they are receiving.  It is a low-tech humanistic approach to medicine with the option of using high tech medicine when necessary, but not as a substitute for the fundamental bond between patient and health care provider.  In many ways, it is the cure for what ails our health care system. We can try to change our practice to address these deficiencies in health care through organizations, and basing the education on patient centered models. Advocates should be working at achieving this goal for the patients. It is very reasonable to expect that we could address the patient as a person, and still have time to take care of our patients because doesn’t every patient deserve empathic, trusted health care professionals with whom they feel they have a personal relationship, and who are working hard for no reason other than the care of the patient at hand?

Nurses get to know patients through effective communication, asking questions, showing acknowledgment, building a rapport and trust, providing support, and just listening.