About Me

My name is Mary Amato and I am currently pursuing my bachelors degree in human services at New York City College of Technology. Upon graduation the population I would like to work with are those suffering with substance abuse and addiction. I have always had an interest in working with substance abusers because I believe that most people suffering with addictions are self-medicating and there are usually underlying issues as to why they might have turned to drugs and/or alcohol to make them feel better.  Most times substances are used as a coping mechanism because they might not know a more effective way to cope.  I feel that this population gets stigmatized because they’re seen as “addicts” and may be untrustworthy, but they are also humans who make mistakes and just require a bit of help to get their life back on track.  What most people don’t realize is that drug or alcohol addiction is actually an illness which requires medical treatment, just like someone with hypertension or diabetes would require treatment for their disease.  During the last three years as a City Tech student, I attended a Narcotics Anonymous and an Alcohol Anonymous meeting for class assignments.  I was very moved by the stories I heard at these meetings and felt so much empathy toward these individuals and I commend them for working toward and maintaining their sobriety.

One major issue concerning those suffering with addiction is that they are at increased risk for major health issues such as HIV and Hepatitis C, which is especially common among intravenous drug users and usually coexist together.  According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse (2014), other health concerns include liver disease, cardiovascular disease, lung disease, cancer, and risk of stroke.  This population is also at an increased risk of sexually transmitted diseases since drugs/alcohol can alter your mental state and lower inhibitions, making you less likely to practice safe sex since your may not be thinking clearly (NIDA, 2014).  Another major concern of this population is the existence of dual diagnoses, which means that these individuals are usually diagnosed with a mental illness in addition to their addiction. 

Personal interests of mine include pop culture, puzzles, brain teasers, learning, baking, cooking, music, dance, reading, and psychology.